Chemistry or Business Studies??? (1 Viewer)

Scornado

HSC
I am currently a Year 10 heading into Year 11 at the end of this year.
I am yet to confirm weather I am taking Chemistry or Business studies as they are in the same line.

I don't know which one I should take, I like both subjects, yet I know Business studies scale one of the lowest but chemistry is harder.

I am currently going to take Physics, Engineering studies, English Advanced, Studies of religion 1 and Mathematics Extension 1

Any thoughts? :read:

Frostguard

HSC
Ask yourself this, are you a science kinda person or an essay-writing kind of person?
Choose Chemistry if you prefer getting straight to the point, writing methods and doing practicals and you dislike writing several essays answering short answers that requires a lot of writing
Choose Business Studies, if you do not mind or enjoy writing essays, writing to your hearts content, using specific business terminology but you will be doing a lot of rote learning, memorisation and essays after essays
Most importantly choose a subject you are interested in and try not to allow external factors such as scaling to influence your subject selection, because after all your performance in a subject correlates to your interest in that subject.

In saying that, Business would be a refresher from your heavy mathematical and scientific subjects so you won't be drowning in constant practicals and assessments since science assessments are all within the same assessment seasons. Nevermind the scaling, scaling doesn't mean jack if you do well in Business. However Chemistry really compliments your other subjects, Physics, Engineering and Maths Ext. The new syllabus will have more mathematical concepts but seeing ur subjects seems like you won't have that much of an issue. Consider going to tutor for Chemistry if you find it difficult.

Basically choose the subject you ultimately enjoy because you would normally do well in a subject you like and perform bad in a subject you didn't really want to choose. Good Luck buddy! :)

captainneuro

HSC
I am currently a Year 10 heading into Year 11 at the end of this year.
I am yet to confirm weather I am taking Chemistry or Business studies as they are in the same line.

I don't know which one I should take, I like both subjects, yet I know Business studies scale one of the lowest but chemistry is harder.

I am currently going to take Physics, Engineering studies, English Advanced, Studies of religion 1 and Mathematics Extension 1

Any thoughts? :read:
If you can do physics and mx1, choose chem. Higher chance of getting a higher atar with chem, and although you shouldn't choose subjects based on scaling, business is only gonna be in your favour if you get a really high raw mark. Judging from your subs, doesn't seem like you'll have too much trouble with chem anyway. Just need to work hard. :cool2:

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you can do physics and mx1, choose chem. Higher chance of getting a higher atar with chem, and although you shouldn't choose subjects based on scaling, business is only gonna be in your favour if you get a really high raw mark. Judging from your subs, doesn't seem like you'll have too much trouble with chem anyway. Just need to work hard. :cool2:
yep can agree to that for business (got like a 90-91 raw only went up a bit). I wish I did like eco or something in that spot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)