Chem assessment help.. (1 Viewer)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
my assignment is: ' Susceptibility of steels of differing composition to corrosion in sea water'

i tested: iron, galvanised, copper, brass, zinc plated

need help on:
'you may wish to include in your investigation the effects of inhibitors on the corrosion'
i tried to search the internet on salt water corrosion/sea water corrosion, and it just popped up all this stuff on engines.
and i need to hand this in on tuesday.. need help

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Surely you have data on corrosion inhibition by having included things like galvanised iron, which can be compared to non-galvanised iron, structural steel, or whatever. Did you also include the wrapping of iron nails in a more active and less active metal wires, because that would also give you some useful comparison data?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I only have information on basic corrosion, i'm looking for information on sea water corrosion?

gman03

HSC
If my memory serves, sea waters (and salty waters) prompts corrosion of nails as it acts like a salt bridge and carries the cations around the corrosion site..

And If i remember correctly, nails placed in pure water corrodes much slowly than in sea water because of the absend of ion impurities....

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Sea Water corrosion is basically the same, but with a much more concentrated, and hence much more efficient, salt bridge.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
its okay now... the questionaire was easy :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)