characters (1 Viewer)

Cab31

HSC
hey guys. does anyone else get really confused with all the different names we have to know?? like beadle and tatum and morgan and mendel and pasteur and koch and sutton and boveri!! lol!! what i am particuarly having trouble with is the expreiments or work that led to the new info on chromosomal inheritance and stuff that sutton and boveri came up with. like i know what they discovered but i dont know how they discovered it. can anyone help me?? lol. :confused:

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
Well there isnt any trick to learn them, you just gotta keep revising over them.
Best thing i can recommend is to keep learning them in a way that the order leads on from someone else experiment..hmm that didnt make sense, so heres an example:
Mendel used pea plants to investigate basic inheritence (dominant/recessive).
Morgan used fruit flies to investigate sex-linked inheritence.

get what i mean?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Cab31 said:
hey guys. does anyone else get really confused with all the different names we have to know?? like beadle and tatum and morgan and mendel and pasteur and koch and sutton and boveri!! lol!! what i am particuarly having trouble with is the expreiments or work that led to the new info on chromosomal inheritance and stuff that sutton and boveri came up with. like i know what they discovered but i dont know how they discovered it. can anyone help me?? lol. :confused:
sadly, chances are you have to remember them... at least the most important one's like darwin/wallace... those mentioned in syllabus are best to be rmbered as welll, since they can test on your knowledge of the "historical contribution" of various scientists...

malkin86

HSC
Who do we need to know?

Jean-Baptiste Lamarck (ck? k?) - proposed 'aquired characteristics' theory of evolution = over their lifetimes, giraffes stretched their necks and their children were born with longer necks.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
You dont need to know Lamark
off the top of my head you need to know:
Darwin evolution
Sutton & Boveri
Mendel
Burnet (i dont thinks hes mentioned in the syllabus but Q's have been asked)
Morgan
Pasteur
Beadle & Tatum
James Watson, Francis Crick, Rosalind Franklin & Maurice Wilkins
Koch

Cab31

HSC
yeah...i guess i just have to remember them ay. they actually havent asked a history of theories of evolution question like with lamark and stuff so i wouldnt be surprised if they asked one... i was doing a past cssa trial though and it asked HOW sutton and boveri came up with their chromosomal inheritance theory...i dont know what they did, just their conclusion...can anyone help??

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
boveri: (sea urchin)

more physical characteristics than chromosomes... therefore more than one hereditry factors carried on a single chromosomes...

observation of mitosis: chromosomes transferred from one generation to the next...

observing crossin over: exchange factors durin mieosis

Sutton: (testis of grasshoppers)

similarities between separation and sortin of chromosome durin meiosis and mendel's law of random segregation/assortment : division/random assortment of chromosome responsible for regreagation/sorting of genes

*so rusty these days... only remembered one or two... had to check my notes =S

Cab31

HSC
thank you heaps. man biology sucks....whoever said it was easy (some fool told me that b4 i picked it) was deluded!
lol!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)