changing CAFS --> Business Studies (1 Viewer)

foodystudybloke

HSC
Hey I am currently doing the following subjects:

- Maths Ext 1, English Advanced
- Accel Maths 2U
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Economics
- CAFS

I'm thinking of changing CAFS to business studies mostly because if I suck at one of the sciences, i'd be doing the one im better at, business and eco in year 12. My ideal combo would be phys chem eco but lately our teachers have been saying that phys and chem tests at my school are super hard..i go tuition for both sciences but i think the thing with me is that I keep doubting my abilities. I also definitely don't want to do CAFS in year 12 btw bc of scaling

So, the workload would go up but there'd be a security net ig? Compared to the other people doing accel 2u - i think i'd have the highest workload because they all chose a sub with lighter workload like sac or cafs

I'm sorry if this read like a brain dump..pls give me some advice thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Scaling should not be a primary consideration when choosing subjects. Essentially, you can achieve a high ATAR with any subject combination. Because of this, there are other, more relevant factors that you may wish to consider which can assist you in making a more informed decision.

First, you should consider your study interests. A subject that you are more interested in taking could be one that you would be more willing to commit to throughout year 11 and year 12. You seem to be certain about wanting to drop Community and Family Studies, which could also indicate a lack of interest in the subject. On the other hand, do you think you would be interested in taking Business Studies? Here, the fact that you are taking Economics is relevant, since both subjects share some similarities in terms of content. This means that, if you find Economics interesting, you may also find Business Studies interesting.

Second, your performance is important (this applies to all your subjects). Based on this, you should consider whether you would be able to perform at a higher standard in CAFS or Business Studies. It is important to note that, while neither subject scales high, favourable performance is definitely possible in both and numerous students achieve outstanding results in both subjects each year.

Third, if you have an idea of your study interests beyond the HSC, you could consider those in making a decision. While neither CAFS nor Business Studies are treated as assumed knowledge or prerequisites towards any university degrees, the content that they cover may be useful in terms of familiarising you with relevant degrees to a certain extent. This is especially applicable to Business Studies which, when coupled with Economics, further expands such knowledge.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)