Chadwick and the neutron. (1 Viewer)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Skipping straight to how Chadwick found the neutron. My notes state -
Chadwick submitted his own paper, “Possible existence of a neutron.” Chadwick used neutrons as tools to bombard elements, and then observed the nature of any particle emissions. Careful measurements of the momentums and energies involved in these and other nuclear reactions confirmed the existence of neutrons. This experimental work dealt with the nature of uncharged radiation and was based on the conservation of momentum and energy law
That part seems abit contradictory considering he used neutrons to find the existence of a neutron ? :S

Clarification please, thanks in advance.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Maybe it's a typo.

Protons or maybe Nucleons? I can only find info that he bombarded elements with emissions from other elements. That would tend to point towards helium nuclei, no? I dunno.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Chadwick and the neutron.

alright, thank you.

duy.le

HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
ur notes have typo because HE FIRED ALPHA PARTICLES AT THE ELEMENTS then discovered neutron
im pretty sure it was a proton

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
no he didnt fire protons. IN his experiment what happened was the alpha particles displaced neutrons from the elements. he had set paraffin wax which was hit by the neutrons which displaced protons from the atoms in the wax. He used law energy and momentum conservation to work out neutrons stuff.

undalay

HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
no he didnt fire protons. IN his experiment what happened was the alpha particles displaced neutrons from the elements. he had set paraffin wax which was hit by the neutrons which displaced protons from the atoms in the wax. He used law energy and momentum conservation to work out neutrons stuff.
This is correct. There's more to it though.

duy.le

HSC
obimoshman1234 said:
obviously i am just proving he is an idiot for thinking protons and as such i only put brief description
oh sorry i must of been high when i made that post. ...

lol, just that i remember there was the proton at the end and forgot the alpha particle at the beginning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)