Causes of WW1 (1 Viewer)

f.director

HSC
i hav an assignment to find the causes of ww1 and i was wondering if any1

has this sort of info. if u post it thatll b great. thanks.

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
Things to be taken into consideration (there is more) incl.: assasination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, tensions in the Balkans reigon, alliance systems, arms race. There is no one cause for the outbreak of WWI, it is rather a build-up of such events as listed above (an other appropriate ones too!).

The list goes on and I strongly reccomend you take the former advice and read your textbook.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
lilsxcwog89 said:
Franz Ferdinand
Oh well I woke up tonight and said I
I'm gonna make somebody love me
And now I know, now I know, now I know
I know that it's you
You're lucky, lucky
You're so lucky!

Oh well do you, do you do you want to?
Oh well do you, do you do you want to, want to go
Where I've never let you before?

Well he's a friend and he's so proud of you
He's a friend and I knew him before you, oh yeah
Well he's a friend and he's so proud of you
You're famous friend well I blew him before you, oh yeah

Well here we are at the transmission party
I love your friends they're all so arty, oh yeah

Oh well I woke up tonight and said I
And now I know, now I know, now I know
I know that it's you
You're lucky, lucky
You're so lucky!

Oh lucky lucky
You're so lucky
Lucky lucky
You're so lucky
Lucky lucky
You're so lucky
Lucky lucky
You're so lucky
Lucky lucky
You're so lucky
Oh lucky lucky
You're so lucky
Yeah

T

Testpilot

Morrocan Crises
Alliances
Nationalism
Militarism
etc

But really is it that hard to read the text book or any other book for that matter (there is heaps on world war one). Or google it. Not that hard, is it?

nwatts

HSC
think of the stupidest reasons to go to war and bingo, wwi.

arms race ftw!

mind you i'd like australia to be a little more imperialist.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
f.director said:
i hav an assignment to find the causes of ww1 and i was wondering if any1

has this sort of info. if u post it thatll b great. thanks.
there's a whole website on WW1. type in world war one into google....the site url is firstworldwar.com or something. browse around you'll find a whole lot on the causes :)

anyway we did this topic just recently.

there are long term causes & short term

* forming of alliance systems
* development of war plans
* nationalism
* the arms race/naval race (militarism)
*industralisation
*new imperialism
*colonial rivalry

there are a lot of overlap betweeen these factors, and you'll find that specifics (for eg the assasination of franz ferdinand) will actually be the result of one, or many of these factors. (eg. franz ferdinand's asassination was the result of nationalistic sentiments in the form of rebellion by a Slav...which was the result of oppresive imperialistic rule over the Serb/Slav community....etc etc)

these are just some key points for you to go off. you can research these up...

there's a lot of info around

if you'd like some more help, feel free to drop me a PM

Rebecca1234

HSC
i have like 7 essays written on the causes of WW1 ... The main causes are

Rise of nationilism
Balkan War
assassination of Franz Ferdinand
Fear of military alliances
The dual alliance
The triple Alliance

Each of these are the causes.

Looking at this thread as it had started in 2004 ... i replied to even help those who also need help :) Email me if you need to essays Cheeky_Bub4life@msn.com

*miranda*

HSC
This is part of the preliminary course isn't it?
I got full marks on the question about the causes of WWI on my exit. But everyone else has covered the points you need so i won't bother again. But read your textbook! most have mindmaps in them about the causes

Purple 2

HSC
There were numerous causes of WWI. These included:
  • Nationalism - "the feeling of loyalty that exists within a group of people who are united by race, language, territory or history." "Great powers promoted the growth of nationalism with 3 common features beginning to emerga: mass education, a centralised bureaucracy (gov't) and an army of conscripts. Each promoted the feeling of loyalty, identity and patriotism that are central to any feeling of nationalism. Influenced relationships between nations. British and German Empires jingoism (taking nationalism to the extreme) grew increaslingly common and gave unity to these to nations and reinforced their perceptions of themselves. However it underminded the unity of Austria-Hungaria and Ottoman empiresm, here it lead to growth of independence movements among thesubject peoples and created internal pressures that would lead to these nations disintegration."
  • Great Powers
  • Colonialism: "Grab for colonies" occured in Aisia and Africa. Empires wanted to expand their own colonies to gain superiortyy, tensions arose between the powers as the amount of land unclaimed grew smaller.
  • The Arms raceL 1871-1914, build of of military technology. Result saw powers unwilling to back down, size of army and navy was seen as national pride and an indication of its potential to dominate a region or the world. HMS Dreadnought major influence (British battlieship). Naval race between Britain and Germany. 1/4 of land occupied by Britain and germany wanted to expand and have an equal role in the world. Wilhelm II introduced Weltpolitik policy. Great Britain had an empire where "the sun never set" and Germany wanted "its place in the sun"
  • Alliance system: britain had survived on policy of 'splendin isolation' which "allowed Britain to become involved in the affairs of other nations or regions only at times of its own choosing." CONCERT OF EUROPE (important supposed to keep powers in balance and prevent a war allowed 4 decades of peace) would look up different alliance systems between each of the powers ie germany, Austria-Hungary and russia known as the three emperors' league. 1902 Britain abandened 'splendid isolation' 1904 signed treaty with france germany believed britain had chosen its side.
  • War plans-ie the shlieffen plan and how Germany needed to get in first and defeat France within 6weeks to avoid fighting a war on two fronts.
  • Assassination of Archduke Franz ferdinard also within this was Germany giving Austria-Hungary a 'blank cheque' meanin that Germany would follow wateva Austria decided to do. the fact the russia mobilised. and how britain become involved because Germany invaded Belgium regarding the Treaty of London i think as a 'scrap of paper' which meant Britain would become involved in war as they had obligated in their treaty with belgium to keep it neutral
  • and i think something to do with the balkans area played a role in the causes.
hope this helps but would suggest u change words n look some extra stuff up as this is just a very basic summary of the causes and may be some quotes in there from other sources

jbaldwin

HSC
brogan77 said:
It was Hitler
Yeah, you really have to hate how a messenger boy in the trenches can cause such terrible events, trust me it had nothing to do with the moroccan crisis, the tension in the Balkans, the assassination of the arch duke or the alliance system. It was just Hitler.....

Seriously this guy wanted some help about WWI not some idiot to come along and give him some intangible rabble.

:mad1:

mzduxx2006

HSC
ohk breaking it down into short term and long term causes.

Short term

- assasination of Arch duke Franz Ferdinand
- July Crisis [tensions between germany, serbia and russia]

Long term

- nationalism [germany tensions with france after franco prussian war in 1870-71 in which german captured french territory Alsace Lorraine]
- militarism [arms race]
- allies [triple entent, triple allience]
- colonial rivalry [morrocco crisis {germany and france} and Baltic region].

ccc123

HSC
Just remember "MAINS'

Militarism
Alliances
Imperial Rivalry
Nationalism
Significant political figures (Such as Kaiser Wilhelm and his aggressibe foreign policy etc).

Short term (catalysts) 'AUS' (as in short for Australia)

Assassination of Ferdinand
Ultimatum
Schlieffen plan failure

If that doesn't help, read a textbook or something. It's not as though the information is unattainable.

Hope that helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)