Can i get 90+ atar with these results? (1 Viewer)

jdad1

HSC
My school is ranked around 200th in NSW

My internal ranks are:

English advanced: 26/47
Mathematics Extension 1: 1/30
Mathematics Extension 2: 4/7
Physics: 3/30
Chinese Continuers: 1/8

My English really is just average (below average probably), I got a raw mark of 70/100 for trials
For trials, my raw marks were around:
83% for 3U
70% for 4U
85% for Physics
90% for Chinese Continuers

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated :)

c_z_m

HSC
My school is ranked around 200th in NSW

My internal ranks are:

English advanced: 26/47
Mathematics Extension 1: 1/30
Mathematics Extension 2: 4/7
Physics: 3/30
Chinese Continuers: 1/8

My English really is just average (below average probably), I got a raw mark of 70/100 for trials
For trials, my raw marks were around:
83% for 3U
70% for 4U
85% for Physics
90% for Chinese Continuers

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated :)
To answer your question - yes you can. But that is of course dependant on your HSC final exam performance and your internal marks.

I would avoid looking at things through the lens of 'raw marks', as they will change depending on how your school performs. You could 'guesstimate' your internal marks using previous years but as your cohort size is so small I wouldn't recommend it.

Write those essays for English, memorise those quotes, consult friends or tutors...English is too often neglected. Your maths looks strong - if you can aim for that 90+ HSC exam range; even if your internals are weaker, it will really 'boost' your ATAR, constituting 40% of it, and scaling insanely well. Maths carried me. Physics tends to scale well, which is good as well. I'm not too sure about Chinese though, as languages are niche for me to analyse. But of course being overconfident could very well undermine your hard work for your internals.

In summary, you can get a 90+ ATAR provided you power on through, 100%, until your final HSC exam. If I were you, I'd probably be focusing on English right now, even there is a lot of space for improvement, and that HSC exam is half a month away.

jdad1

HSC
to give a more accurate estimate the amount of band 6s in each of your subjects would help
For my school in 2021, the number of band 6s were:
English Advanced: 9
Maths ext 2: 8
Maths ext 1: 16
Physics: 4
Chinese continuers: 4

jdad1

HSC
To answer your question - yes you can. But that is of course dependant on your HSC final exam performance and your internal marks.

I would avoid looking at things through the lens of 'raw marks', as they will change depending on how your school performs. You could 'guesstimate' your internal marks using previous years but as your cohort size is so small I wouldn't recommend it.

Write those essays for English, memorise those quotes, consult friends or tutors...English is too often neglected. Your maths looks strong - if you can aim for that 90+ HSC exam range; even if your internals are weaker, it will really 'boost' your ATAR, constituting 40% of it, and scaling insanely well. Maths carried me. Physics tends to scale well, which is good as well. I'm not too sure about Chinese though, as languages are niche for me to analyse. But of course being overconfident could very well undermine your hard work for your internals.

In summary, you can get a 90+ ATAR provided you power on through, 100%, until your final HSC exam. If I were you, I'd probably be focusing on English right now, even there is a lot of space for improvement, and that HSC exam is half a month away.
Thanks for the insight, I was wondering if I can sort of neglect English, and be content that I can get at least band 3 in it, given that I ace my other subjects? I am pretty confident that if I devote most of my time to my other subjects, I can get band 6s for 3U and 4U and Chinese. But then will that be enough to compensate for my poor performance in English? (enough for 90+ atar?)

HSC
Most probably that's a bad decision. You can probably boost English with much less work as it would take to equally boost all your other subjects to compensate.

c_z_m

HSC
Thanks for the insight, I was wondering if I can sort of neglect English, and be content that I can get at least band 3 in it, given that I ace my other subjects? I am pretty confident that if I devote most of my time to my other subjects, I can get band 6s for 3U and 4U and Chinese. But then will that be enough to compensate for my poor performance in English? (enough for 90+ atar?)
Probably, but I wouldn't recommend it, because of the fact that band 6's aren't guaranteed, they're earnt (provided you don't cheat, haha). Plus a better mindset would not be simply "I'll get over 90" but rather "I'll aim as high as possible", which neglecting English severely risks compromising.

bruhwth

HSC
lmao wondering the same. My 2u math, phys, chem and eco are really strong and then there's English rip. Average as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)