Cambridge 2F Q13 and Q 21 (1 Viewer)

Michael12901

HSC
For 21 b) use the fact that e^(-x) is decreasing on [0,1] to get the inequality and the integrand is non negative in that same domain to get,

the rest is trivial
13b):

13e):
From a) and b),

Integrating both sides from 0 to x with respect to t,

but thats just my attempt im sure there are better ways to do it lol
How do u get the first line? x>=t. I understand the rest

Michael12901

HSC
For 21 b) use the fact that e^(-x) is decreasing on [0,1] to get the inequality and the integrand is non negative in that same domain to get,

the rest is trivial
Also how do u deal with the e at the front of the expression in the middle? Because presumably u need to multiply the whole inequality by e as well.

Thanks btw ur help v much appreciated. 😁

HSC
Also how do u deal with the e at the front of the expression in the middle? Because presumably u need to multiply the whole inequality by e as well.

Thanks btw ur help v much appreciated. 😁
that middle term is simply just e - S_n

for the other question im not too sure theres probably some deeper geometric interpretation behind it but i havent encountered enough functions defined as integrals to grasp it fully.

Michael12901

HSC
that middle term is simply just e - S_n

for the other question im not too sure theres probably some deeper geometric interpretation behind it but i havent encountered enough functions defined as integrals to grasp it fully.
Yeah but the integral in the middle (the one with e^(-x) has an e in front of the whole integral which u haven't accounted for in the rightmost integral (in the inequality). Cos presumably that e makes the middle integral larger and I don't understand how it can be smaller than the rightmost one which doesn't have an e multiplied to it

HSC
Yeah but the integral in the middle (the one with e^(-x) has an e in front of the whole integral which u haven't accounted for in the rightmost integral (in the inequality). Cos presumably that e makes the middle integral larger and I don't understand how it can be smaller than the rightmost one which doesn't have an e multiplied to it
in the full working out i would have,

as e < 3
sorry for any confusion i didnt actually do this question i kinda just glanced at it lol

Michael12901

HSC
in the full working out i would have,

as e < 3
sorry for any confusion i didnt actually do this question i kinda just glanced at it lol
Ah yes ty so much πŸ™
Also for the x>= t matter, could it be because in part c) we're integrating a function in terms of t over the bounds 0 to x. Meaning that 0<= t <= x?? I've seen that logic used in some questions.

Luukas.2

HSC
Ah yes ty so much πŸ™
Also for the x>= t matter, could it be because in part c) we're integrating a function in terms of t over the bounds 0 to x. Meaning that 0<= t <= x?? I've seen that logic used in some questions.
Yes. If I integrate from (say) to then I know that .

The same logic applies to integrating from to , it follows that or .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)