calling OUT.... what is everyone doing for their major? (1 Viewer)

well. its that big year aye!. :D

dilema:

emotion is a big source of inspriation. my artwork is subjective and in some sense cultural.
my obession is flowers, and its a postive obession. i do them abstract and its open to interpretation. my oll medium was oil paints and i painted in a way that even i knew that it was flat. my image was flat, it had no volume yet peers thought it was grreat because of size.

yet after going through national art school, intensive hsc course.
artists taught me the art of acrylics, i was moving outta my comfort zone. my final peice for that coourse was so satisfying to me it wasn't funnie. i've never done anything like it and to try something new, feeling is indescrible.

:D

but now the dilema comes in, i don't know if what i'm intending to portray and how i portay is what i really want. i know its all about the audience in a respect. but..

well wat i'm going to do is a painting, probably acrylics :)( ) and its going to be elongated macinite boards. giving the impression of a traditional chinese scroll paiinting, yet its contens would be bits and peices of a flower
get me?

my hopeful intention is emotion. i wanna get across to the viewer how i feel about my fellow peers and how they think.
i've had people want to die, people nearly getting pregnant to ppl getting married and dropping out.

its anger i tell ya. yet i want to show a peaceful nature.something that can be lifechanging. i want to help people, achieve their goals and dreams.
its strange, but i feel so joyful at times, b/c i have this extraodinary support that i am indebt too. everything i do and feel and think is b/c of them. its an artwork that is me.

and i'm trying to show it through flowers and jap/chinese/english writing using templates.

i've realised through the years that marks don't matter, well it does, but effot is the most important. but with this, i want that msg across. sad huh? so indecisive me.

anywayz point i'm trying to make is, how do i persuade the markers with my artwork and its meaning. should i talk more about signs and symbols ?

man i am rambling so badly. but i need it helps me discover my meanings. =D b/c i'm so BAD at english :D :D :D :D :D

Ink

Livingdeadgirl
You seem to have your ideas set, good luck to you.

Also - why flowers??

well, i don't realli know.

i can't explain realli.

maybe it was through flower painting that i had potential, not onli in art but in my school grades overall. that i had hope.

i don't c it as a feministic thing though. :D its not my direct intention. =D

pri

HSC
N/A
aah! thats the same theme as me, Im doing emotion too, only Im studying it through the facial expression and body language of ppl, using colours and textures (thank god for impasto gel). Im using mainly acrilics , and pastels for drawings. I may even include photo....

Im guessin emotion is a common theme.

Oh wellz all the creative national art skool grads will prob get the top marks...

Uggy

Im basing my bow on life drawing, like appropriations of some 'venus's in relating to life drawing models. but everytime i think of some way to DO it, i think about me handing it in and i get scared off the idea... its really pissing me off! i cant settle on an idea coz i always think its not as good as it could be!

arrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

please someone else be like that 2?

ellebelle

Originally posted by Uggy
but everytime i think of some way to DO it, i think about me handing it in and i get scared off the idea... its really pissing me off! i cant settle on an idea coz i always think its not as good as it could be!

I know exactly what you mean. Every idea i had i'd stop and think "but what will the examiners think... what if they don't like it... or don't get it..." and it scared me off doing anything. I know that was the wrong approach so i'm trying not to think about it, but it's always there at the back of your mind.

Uggy

oh thank god!!

i think thats how everyone thinks in the back of their mind.... unless art is a bludge subject for them. I think its worse than the other subjects coz it really depends on your own hard work being criticised by someone else who might just not like it!! with art not everything can been seen through criteria....

smittenkitten

Poopinator
I'm doing a collection of paintings...with acrylics and charcoal. They're on long masonite boards, however I'm currently experimenting with the use of masonite with chalkboard paint as a base surface. I'm also experimenting with just painting directly onto wooden surfaces...I really don't have the energy to deal with oil paints atm.

I'm focusing on a Picasso-esque thing...basically it's going to have a personal feel to it because I'm transfering my body into picasso figures. The works will document my typical moods throughout the days of the week.

Livingdeadgirl, I wouldn't worry about impressing markers if I were you. When you try to impress an audience your work can come across as fake and manufactured. You end up curbing raw emotions and substituting it with things you think they'd like. Anyway I suggest getting a whole bunch of masonite boards, lining them up somewhere (garage maybe?) and just exploring your themes and ideas. You'll find that your techniques and the like may evolve and mature. Then in the end you just select the ones you like best and that have grown the most:D That's my (excessive) 2cents :D

ellebelle

I guess there's always a tiny element of luck when your artwork is marked subjectively rather than based on strong set criteria, so one examiner may completely miss the point of your work and give it no merit, whereas another examiner may of found it to be a masterpiece and worthy of art express.

its always ur opinion against theres. =D
:)

but i think about this time, we should realli be starting with our actual peice. i've been experimenting for yonks now.:chainsaw:

hope u guys are all starting something too.

thanks for the comments big angry woman. nice nic btw :D

and i guess we shouldn't be so scared of critiscms.
just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by Asquithian
a guy at my school who got 1st in the state for vis arts did something on paedophilia...(spelling i know)

controversiaL..but he did come first
wow.
congrats to him for comming first. unsual subject matter, but also unique. wat medium did he work with?

sd

worried about markers understanding

Some friendly (I hope) advise from one who teachers and marks HSC VA. Stop worrying about what the markers will or won't understand. Do this right now. Worrying about such things will only get in the way of what is truly important......the actual DOING. A BOW is about doing!!!!! Make ART. Use the media and form you enjoy most. Think about your making as preparing for an exhibition. No one is going to ask you what frame your work is coming from. If you are painting, drawing, or printmaking- how you have used the picture plane and the media is what will impress. Not the size.
Enjoy your art making but work on it every day. September is getting very close and your art making is 50% of your final mark. So it deserves all the effort you can put into it. Remember the more you do the better you will get at it. Like sport the more you practice the better you get.:D

DC10

i am knocking something out with charcoal and graphite, and focusing on the suffering and the pointlessness of war,

any suggestsions? it's not the most original topic, but i think the thing going on at the moment really pushes me to portray the issues of human destructiveness.

tash

lalalala
HSC
this was my attempt at trying 2 creat a somewhat original idea: i'm depicting piano music as 2 how others 'see' it, so i got a heap of people 2 listen 2 me play the piano 1 day and they wrote down what they thought was going on in each piece.so i'm gonna draw/paint what visualisation i think best suits how i was interpreting the music so u can almost hear the music when u c the pictures, the feeling emphasised by symbolism, colour, technique, etc.
i any1 has any ideas that could b useful 4 me feel free 2 tell me!
by the way, all ur ideas sound really cool- i wish i could c all the bow's 2 c what they're all like

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
re:

WoW! The piano idea sounds really good and original - in my opinion..

Last edited:

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by DC10
i am knocking something out with charcoal and graphite, and focusing on the suffering and the pointlessness of war,

any suggestsions? it's not the most original topic, but i think the thing going on at the moment really pushes me to portray the issues of human destructiveness.
howabout (and ive decided not to do this) juxtapositioning bush into an iraqi situation, and juxtaposition some seedy iraq into a press conference and show how they both react with facial expressions and stuff
i did one where the iraqi was wearing scarves and just smiling giving a press conference and bush was huddled in the corner in a hut with bombs on parachutes dropping out the window

DC10

that's a nice idea :D but i already finished my first charcoal drawing. Don't quite know where to go next, probably have to ask my teachers for some ideas and directions :D

the charcoal drawing actually turned out quite well, a very tonal drawing :D

i was thinking about an appropriation to Guernica by picasso. But i realised that my skills are better used if i do a drawing of some sort, and so i didn't do painting etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)