Cadetships (1 Viewer)

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
Anyone here currently doing a cadetship?
Any interviews insights and tips?
and what its like to be a cadet?

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hey - I was a cadet at the Australian Taxation Office in Canberra - doing Commerce. You can do Business Admin, Commerce-Accounting or IT - at the University of Canberra. The money was excellent - you get a living away from home allowance, book allowance, wage, study leave , HECs etc. I started in Janurary, but left 13 weeks into the program....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by orangeguy
Anyone here currently doing a cadetship?
Any interviews insights and tips?
and what its like to be a cadet?
A girl from my school is doing one with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and studying Commerce/Law at Sydney Uni...she hates it because u get no life - u have to work fulltime during the day, and do uni part time at night

santaslayer

HSC
woooooo...... for price waterhouse?..... datz suppose to be a really good and large firm..... ur friend should be happy bout dat... i would kill for a place there

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
Minai, i believe u have to study part time, and therefore you cannot do com/law and a cadetship at the same time because com/law is not offered part time?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by orangeguy
Minai, i believe u have to study part time, and therefore you cannot do com/law and a cadetship at the same time because com/law is not offered part time?
AFAIK it is possible to do comm/law and a cadetship, one of my friends was going to do actuarial/law cadetship but came to her senses :). Practically speaking, there are comm lectures and tutes in the evening, I think there are later law classes too.

But you would be crazy to do it IMO...you would have no time for anything outside work and uni.

Cadetships for commerce make sense, but I still think it's better to enjoy uni life while you can! The only really good reason for doing a cadetship is the money.

sif not 99

having been offered a cadetship with PWC and rejecting it (and seeing ppl who did take them up) I am glad that I made that decision.

Basically you have no life and you receive such a pittance for work that they pay grads rather well to do. Also keeping in mind that they charge the client a hell of a lot more for your services than you receive.

What about the work experience I hear you cry? Well the quality of your degree will surely suffer from juggling work with study and getting a top notch summer internship will generally suffice for practical work experience, getting that is the challenge.

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
With my cadetship I only had to work 18.45 hrs per week - and this applies in teaching free weeks. But in summer holidays u do the full time work load. In exams you get exam leave etc etc - it works out about 1.5weeks off to study. Instead of a 3 yr degree - it takes around 3.5 yrs at University of Canberra ...

I left mainly because I believe my marks at University were being pulled down because of the work etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)