Brian Greene's "Elegant Universe" (1 Viewer)

Kirjava

HSC
In all fairness, I have seen the full series more than once, and enjoyed it very much each time- but no matter how many times I propose to watch it over and over I don't think I could come any closer to being able to say whether or not the entirety of string theory is "right" or not. Perhaps any of us might be qualified to voice our opinions on its scientific integrity after years of undergraduate and graduate study, not to mention careful analysis of its physical and mathematical applications, shortcomings and implications (I imagine that the math alone would be rather hard to swallow).

But if it means anything to you, my "gut reaction" leans towards the negative. There's just something inherently unnapealing about it, and i'm at loss for words to describe exactly what it is. But that's just my opinion, and nothing more. I wouldn't presume to say that it isn't "right" just because I don't like it.

P.S. This was a reply to kurt's question =p

Last edited:

MaccaFacta

HSC
N/A
I borrowed a copy from my local library. Read it. Thought it was OK - not as good as Hawking's "A Brief History of Time". Returned it.

Why buy it?

samwell

HSC
i caught the series on SBS and another cool physics doco is E=mc^2. This was also on SBS.

JamesTockuss

HSC
Bought it from the ABC shop yesterday - which is strange considering it was on SBS? But loved it.

Although I still don't believe in string theory; just so many 'what ifs'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)