Brave New World (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
no.. but I read it last year. Great book, best text in all my english electives, and obviously better than Stolen Children.. man that was boring

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
i saw everybody else reading it for english.. and after the hsc i thought what the heck, i shall join in the fun... and so i did... it had a really similar tone to 1984, i reckon. All depressive and uber-modern.
Except a bit more twisted, and more adherent to genre features with the tragic hero and stuff.

super_moron

yeh i quite enjoyed the book. many of the features of that future society can be seen today if u look enough...well thats what i reckon. but the crap thing about studying brave new world is that the text we're comparing it to is bladerunner...possibly the most boring movie of all time :sleep:

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
yeh bladerunner sucked ass, but bnw was great! i did find it hard 2 get through it though coz the themes in it are so similar 2 the probs we have 2day and i was like WOW this book is a little freaky!

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
"I want sin!" Brave New World is an awesome book, and so is George Orwell's 1984.. its probably one of the few books that maticulous study in the hsc of cant degrade its worth or make it crap..

both very cool books... did neither in the hsc... but good anyway.

super_moron

also....bladerunner is made 10x worse when the teacher stops the movie every 30seconds or so to explain the significance of the tinyest, most inconspicious little thingy...like a rat or something...
:mad1:

Last edited:

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
yep, i read it for english too last year. i agree, a lot better than blade runner.

Serpentia

I am devastated that I am studying Brave New World

Witness the destruction of yet another literary classic..........

I am deeply saddened..... I think it's a f*cking fantastic book.......

damn english for destroying all that is good

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Originally posted by Serpentia
I am devastated that I am studying Brave New World

Witness the destruction of yet another literary classic..........

I am deeply saddened..... I think it's a f*cking fantastic book.......

damn english for destroying all that is good
Not having read BNW before English 2003, I wouldn't know what to think of it without analyzing it. Didn't really ruin the experience for me though.

Serpentia

Lol maybe I should re-articulate myself

I feel that through over-analysing texts, which you have to do in English, the text loses a lot of value. I like to analyse things myself, and take my own reading, rather than learn how to take different parts of a text, and one very specific reading, to form an arguement (ie essay).

It's sad, the only way that people read some of the classics is because they are forced to at school...... and then... they don't enjoy them because they are made to overanalyse them.......

super_moron

yeh, there is a lot of analysis in english adv...but apparently nothing compared to ext 1 english...i dont do ext english myself, can anyone clarify exactly what goes on there?

Serpentia

lol Extension English involves breaking down in terms of concepts pertaining to society, rather than viewing a text to form the same arguement as everyone else, you are more encouraged to take up your own perspective on texts......

super_moron

but its so much easier to regurgitate other peoples thoughs and opinions! :rolleyes:

bleh, im glad i didnt do ext english...ext maths and ext history are hard enough to cope with...

Ocker

I just so happen to be reading BNW now! :/

I am reading for myself, not for school though.

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
yeah.. bnw isnt that bad.. quite true to life we r heading to these days.. and too childish too.. bladerunner was ok... the teacher stopping the tape was too annoying!! i love roy's character!! deckard is a dick!! the origami creations are mad!! but aint sure which ones better!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)