box plots (1 Viewer)

anonymoushehe

HSC
So we started doing box plots, and our teacher went through an example as a class. Basically the question was asking which of the two box plots had more consistent scores, and the teacher said it would be Allan (second box plot) because it was more distributed in the middle 50%. But I was confused, cause doesn’t that mean it’s more inconsistent. Like for Anita, the IQR was much smaller than Allans, so wouldn’t that mean the first box plot has more consistent scores overall?? Correct me if I’m wrong pls

Attachments

cossine

HSC
So we started doing box plots, and our teacher went through an example as a class. Basically the question was asking which of the two box plots had more consistent scores, and the teacher said it would be Allan (second box plot) because it was more distributed in the middle 50%. But I was confused, cause doesn’t that mean it’s more inconsistent. Like for Anita, the IQR was much smaller than Allans, so wouldn’t that mean the first box plot has more consistent scores overall?? Correct me if I’m wrong pls
The further you get from the mean the more the variance is. I wouldn't say which one is more consistent as we don't exactly how the values are distributed. If you look Anita graph the length of the right whisker is quite long. This makes it likely the variance of Anita score greater and hence is less consistent though it is not guaranteed.

anonymoushehe

HSC
The further you get from the mean the more the variance is. I wouldn't say which one is more consistent as we don't exactly how the values are distributed. If you look Anita graph the length of the right whisker is quite long. This makes it likely the variance of Anita score greater and hence is less consistent though it is not guaranteed.
Ohhh alr tyy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)