Bohr's postulates and the development of a mathematical model (1 Viewer)

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
Describe how Bohr's postulates led to the development fo a mathematical model to account for the existence of the hydrogen spectrum

I read the pages 433-436 in the Jacaranda Physics textbook. I understand the logic behind deriving expressions and then combining them together to form the Balmer's equation. The thing is, I don't know how to explain the whole process in words and how much information is required to answer such question (if it appears in the HSC paper). Can anyone help? Thanks

samwell

HSC
Its a describe dotpoint so its mainly providing characteristics of Bohrs postulates and relate them to the develpment of the mathematical model. e.g.
Bohrs postulates:
(1) Electrons can only orbit in specific stationery states. This contributed to the balmer eqn which could explain the specific wavelength of the electron as it changes from one energy level. This accounted for the Hydrogen spectrum as it had only one electron and quantitative measurements could be used to explain the hydrogen spectrum of y specific wavelengths were emmited. Rydbergs eqn is the eqn than improves this eqns importance.

(2) stable electrons orbitals always follow the quantam rule: {momemtum*circumference=n*plankcs constant thus mv*2(pi)r=nh} NB: this probably not as important in this dt point but shows that u can recall Bohrs postulates. This is mainly for wave particle duality and de broglies eqn.

(3) A transition between states will be accompanied by emmision or absorption of energy in quantised form hf=E1 - E2. This is principally the most important mathematical relationship in explaining the hydrogens spectrum. As rutherfords model failed to explain why accelerating electrons didnt make the atom unstable this model explained the movement of electrons from an energy level to another. This relationship accounted for the observations of (Balmer series/Pfund series/ Brackett series etc). These emmisions of emr could be accounted for and the Balmer series(visible light) could infact be observed from the hydrogen spectra. The use of rydberg's eqn could show the specific wavelengths of light emitted and could thus explain experimental observations.(a diagram of the hydrogen spectra would be critical to any description qsn)

{this is probably a 5 mark question and i dont think my analysis is Band 6 range however the main idea is to show how Bohrs postulates enabled Rydberg's eqn/ and plancks eqn to explain the observed hydrogen spectra}

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
Thank you so much, I understand it much better now
Wow that essay length response isn't a Band 6 range? As if man! Haha

samwell

HSC
ronnknee said:
Thank you so much, I understand it much better now
Wow that essay length response isn't a Band 6 range? As if man! Haha
not the quantity its the quality in Band 6 responses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)