BIG Question! (1 Viewer)

kannonboy

Hey, y'know how you have to count two units of English in your 10 unit UAI mark... does it matter which two?

eg. if i totally bombed out of 2 unit advanced and aced extention 1 and extention 2 can I count those instead?

I've heard rumours but the real-BOS website doesn't say anything about it...:confused:

HSC
Originally posted by kannonboy
Hey, y'know how you have to count two units of English in your 10 unit UAI mark... does it matter which two?

eg. if i totally bombed out of 2 unit advanced and aced extention 1 and extention 2 can I count those instead?

I've heard rumours but the real-BOS website doesn't say anything about it...:confused:
as far as I know, they choose your BEST 2 units of english, so to answer your question, yes.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
For verification - last year, my extension english units counted over the advanced ones, so yes, it's definitely your best two.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
By the way Laz, sorry if you already said this somewhere, what subjects did you do for yr 12?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
4u english, 3u maths, physics, philosophy, 3u computing studies (2000).

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Do you mind telling me your UAI?

At leats the percentyle range?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Uhm, I don't mind, it's just that I've been called arrogant in the past for freely telling people (which seems stupid to me, but then again, so do a lot of things). I got 97.35.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
:) go Laz

sorry all - just getting back to the topic...a related question

I am in a *similar situation*, in that I did significantly better in Ext 1 than in advanced. but I don't do ext 2. Do they still count my 2 best units? And if so, how do they separate advanced english?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Milly has the right idea.

When calculating UAIs, everything is performed on a per-unit basis. Essentially, if you have (for example) 86 in English (Advanced) and 47 in English (Extension 1), their records will show the following:

<table border=1><font size=1><tr><b><td>Units</td><td>Course</td><td>Mark</td></tr></b><tr><td>1</td><td>English (Adv)</td><td>43</td></tr><tr><td>1</td><td>English (Adv)</td><td>43</td></tr><tr><td>1</td><td>English (Ext 1)</td><td>47</td></tr></font></table>

For the sake of this example, imagine that they've already chosen 8 of your units (which just happened to be better than these ones). The final two units will be the best two units out of the three units left to choose from. At this stage of the process, all scaling has been completed, and they're simply aggregating marks, so the course or BOS 'unit grouping' is irrelevant. They'll simply take the English (Ext 1) unit and one of the English (Adv) units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)