Best for Software Engineering (1 Viewer)

DJel

HSC
Hi,

I was wondering which uni in NSW is considered 'the best' for a software engineering degree? I was swaying towards UTS but some people have told me that Sydney uni is considered to have a better course.

I am in year 11 at the moment, doing SDD and IPT coming 1st and 3rd respectively. I do do Extension 1 maths but it seems to take up a lot of my time and I am contemplating dropping done to normal Mathematics. I noticed that Sydney Uni lists Extension 1 maths as assumed knowledge, is that level of maths required for this sort of degree?

Thanks,

DJel.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Well, University Of Wollongong seems good you can pick from a large variety of electives or do double majors along with software engineering.

But it sounds like you live in sydney so im not sure if you would travel.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
No you can still get Credit+ If you do 2U. The only thing is that its perfectly legitimate for them to sneak identities formulas etc learnt in 3U into tests; so you may wanna take a 3U bridging course. IMO it's a waste of money.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
ye but at uow you can pick electrical electives every year. I think you can also do mathematics with software engineering for modelling.

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
Musk said:
USYD and UNSW focus their software/computer engineering on the electrical side of things

UTS & UOW focus on the It side of things thus shows their programs are in check on what the industry want for jobs

If you wanna get into research then UNSW would be the best place to go, for work UTS
Totally untrue. UNSW's Software Engineering does not have an electrical focus and this is where they differ from Sydney University.
UNSW's SENG degree is probably one of the best among unis in Sydney. It has as much industry-relevance as UTS's programs as the computing courses are the same as the Computer Science programs with the addition of a workshop component where students get to do and manage large-scale software projects, utilising what they have learnt from other courses.
It's also the only uni I know of that teaches formal methods.

hurstville

HSC
N/A
Usyd Software Engineering degree has been changed at least 2-3 times in as many years.

The old one had alot of ELEC subjects but the new one has taken those out and replaced them with COMP subjects and whatever new subjects tey decide to come up with.

However the funny thing is, some of the new COMP subject are actually EXACTLY the same as the old ELEC subjects. All they did was change the name of the unit.

Bit of a mess really if you ask me.

Lawl

HSC
hurstville said:
Usyd Software Engineering degree has been changed at least 2-3 times in as many years.

The old one had alot of ELEC subjects but the new one has taken those out and replaced them with COMP subjects and whatever new subjects tey decide to come up with.

However the funny thing is, some of the new COMP subject are actually EXACTLY the same as the old ELEC subjects. All they did was change the name of the unit.

Bit of a mess really if you ask me.
Actually, they've reformed and reviewed the whole IT sector in usyd, now it has its own builiding and all. I suggest that you look at the handbooks from all the univerisities that have this course. My friend (his doing software engg at usyd) is currently doing a mixture of physics/electrical/programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)