best 3u/4u math text book? (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
i got the fitzpatrick ones, they got good egs but the ex r abit brief compared to say cambridge. dunno if there are any better ones.
any recommendations? thanx

turtle_2468

HSC
I'd be inclined to put fitzpatrick down as one of the worse ones, but that is IMHO :) cambridge has lots of exercises, and so does coroneos (the really small one, with the supplementary which is normal size?)

is a roflcopter
HSC
Excel hsc study guide is the best :D

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Last year I depended on excel 4unit, and only got 89 exam mark..
But that was a significant increase from 81 moderated assessment mark and never attending the 4u class anyways :D

excel tends to give you shortcuts and make you not want to study more. Get the past HSC paper books, it's obviously best, because I got an exam mark of 96 from moderated mark of 76, just from studying the past paper.

damn the hsc mark is average of the two..

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
go to drbuachanans site, get the 150 past papers and do those. better than any textbook. if youre stuck on a particualr topic, it might be worth getting the phoenix by topic book. as for questions, we just use patel so i cant really compare with the others.

Affinity

HSC
Arnold is good if you bother to learn the concepts.

Coroneos if you want some hard questions.

If you just want to 'cram' then do papers.

Giant Lobster

HSC
i see.. so the fitz ones arent good? nuts.

well im stuck with em, cos im poor and cant buy more :( ill just go thru them and go onto past papers.

Affinity

HSC
fitz is not bad, just a little trivial sometimes

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Our school uses the Patel blue/purple book, not the excel one, I think its a good book.

Giant Lobster

HSC
i dont get it. im not arguing or anything, i really wanna know where its trivial in fitz cos i bought it for 2 main reasons and they are that its got like 10 examples b4 each exercise and thats mad, and also JR uses it apparently so it must be good.

do u mean trivial as in it doesnt follow the syllabus closely enuf and stuff it teaches r sometimes redundant? thx

Giant Lobster

HSC
i know for sure cambridge is another good one, but from teacher / tutor opinions cambridge doesnt 'teach' as well, and is good for exercises and hard qus only. and my friend who owns at math recommends maths in focus. theres so much books to choose from damn.

N

ND

Originally posted by Giant Lobster
i dont get it. im not arguing or anything, i really wanna know where its trivial in fitz cos i bought it for 2 main reasons and they are that its got like 10 examples b4 each exercise and thats mad, and also JR uses it apparently so it must be good.
Just look at the complex number section...

Affinity

HSC
I meant that fitzpatrick tends to give you the questions with easy algebra or questions that are very straightforward where you don't have to think much.

Arnold may be 'dry' in it's contents(i.e similar to a 1950s textbook)

Stop worrying about books, you will be better off studying from the worse book than spending the time figuring out which to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)