Belonging? (1 Viewer)

kalaniman1

HSC
yeh can someone tell me the value/merit in learning about belonging? or conflicting perspectives? or a comparative study of texts?
I'm not dismissing the value of English (even though I DONT think it should be compulsory) but I just dont understand why tens of thousands of teenagers around the state are forced to learn this shit
it seems that we've become so numb to the system that we don't take a moment to step back and have a proper look at what we're learning about

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
the particular topic doesn't matter (which is why it's not really a huge deal whether it's belonging or journeys or change or whatever BOS decides to come up with). English as a subject is teaching you a set of skills to do with analysis and communication that then feed into all other areas of your life.

It just so happens that belonging is the means through which those skills are being taught at the moment.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
No one's going to give a damn when you pipe up and say 'YEAH I'VE READ ANIMAL FARM'. But what about when it comes to writing an essay at uni? BAM ENGLISH TAUGHT YOU THAT SKILL.

Maybe you need to write a well structured email to your boss. ENGLISH PROBS TAUGHT YOU HOW TO USE BASIC GRAMMAR AND STRUCTURE.

Or analysing a business proposition? OH ENGLISH TAUGHT YOU TO ANALYSE.

Or maybe you go into marketing and design ads. HEY GUESS WHAT ENGLISH TAUGHT YOU HOW TO INTERPRET VISUALS HENCE HOW BEST TO PRESENT THEM.

It's all skills that you'll use forever.

lolJK

HSC
you need to realise that asking questions like these is wasting time that you dont have! 9 months is not a lot of time. Maybe only 6 months will be spent learning the content...then you're on your own. The fact is that you can't change it, so get over it and do the work. Or not, if you want to severely compromise your ATAR. Harsh but true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)