Bachelor of Medical Science (MBBS Provisional) (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I know this course has been changed to a new teaching medium and the UMAT/interview was removed from the requirements; but I think I found through the UAC course search that the cut-off was as high as 98.9!

I was hoping for this course, but I highly doubt I will have a chance anymore and I've accepted that; but if anyone who has previously gotten into Medicine in the old method, what OP/ATAR did you achieve to get in with... I imagine it is close to what this year's should be.

Geez I hope they're only inflating the ATAR for the sake of it.

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
Wait how do you get into medicine via this course? I always thought of medical science as another course.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The course transitions straight into Medicine after 2 years of the Medical Science degree - it's an accelerated 2 year degree. As long as you have a GPA of 5.0, that is, and you pass another course.

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
Oh interesting never knew such a course existed after my years of medical entry scheme research. Interviews is interesting it's an important criterion imo for selection of best suited students. I wish I had more information to answer your questions unfortunately this is totally new.

mecramarathon

HSC
imho this course is very competitive and speculated by many to be excess 99.5 (since the other components have been removed)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
imho this course is very competitive and speculated by many to be excess 99.5 (since the other components have been removed)
UAC had estimated it about 98.9 but of course they can't have the cutoff above 99.00 because the QLD OP only goes up to 1 which is the equivalent of 99.00 NSW ATAR ranking. But I guess if there are lots of NSW applicants, then the cut-off will have to be higher. Only 30 students at each campus (Gold Coast and Nathan) will be allowed this year... so it's very competitive.

SuperDumbo

Banned
HSC
I guess the no UMAT and interview requirement really shows. Griffith isn't even a worldly renowned uni and the cut is of is this high shows the desperation of students wanting to do medicine.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess the no UMAT and interview requirement really shows. Griffith isn't even a worldly renowned uni and the cut is of is this high shows the desperation of students wanting to do medicine.
Know why the cutoff is high? Because there are only 30 places available for both QLD and NSW students, and they give out a LOT of OP1 in Queensland...

mecramarathon

HSC
there are high OP1 and low OP1 the same as high ATAR 99 and low ATAR 99

so its very likely only the high OP1s for QLDers will make it

oh and speaking of uni reputation, i think it has very little impact on your opportunities as a physician, a mbbs is a mbbs and interns are done through ballot draw :)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
If you complete this course with a GPA of 5 or more, do you still have to do GAMSAT?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
nope

interview? nope
I don't see the point in taking away the interview and replacing that with a course to take; the interview is a very good way of weeding through the crowd, but, nonetheless that's Griffith's way of doing things. I plan on going onto Med after my course, but I doubt I'll even do it at Griffith.

SuperDumbo

Banned
HSC
there are high OP1 and low OP1 the same as high ATAR 99 and low ATAR 99

so its very likely only the high OP1s for QLDers will make it

oh and speaking of uni reputation, i think it has very little impact on your opportunities as a physician, a mbbs is a mbbs and interns are done through ballot draw :)
That's true, the shortage of doctors in Australia is due to the stupid John Howard. Now the hospitals are actually behind in terms of training places for interns the Australian government isn't very smart.

The most likely reason for NSW students to go griffith is because they screwed their UMAT or they got rejected in NSW.

Last edited:

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone else considering this? I didn't sit UMAT but I changed my mind halfway through the actual HSC. And why was the cutoff 99.85 this year? Fking ridiculous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)