Bachelor of Commerce (1 Viewer)

crazylilmonkee

HSC
Hey!
Can anyone who studies this course, tell me what first year is like? I'm studying economics at school and i was wondering if i would be able to handle it.. apparently theres a lot of essay writing for the exams?
Thanks heaps

SoFTuaRiaL

in first yr, u do the following subjects
Accounting and financial manageent 1A & 1B
Microeconomics 1
Macroeconomics 1
Quantitative methods A & B (this will be replaced by maths for actuarial 1A & 1B if ure majoring in actuarials)
besides this, u take 2 other subjects depending on ur major ....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I do all those subjects,
theres zero essay writing basically for the core subjects (except one essay in the final exam of Macroeconomics)

For me personally, I find Accounting the most interesting and enjoyable subject, because I find the maths/statistics (QMA and QMB) boring, and the Economics subjects too tedious (it isn't like what you're used to in HSC Economics, believe me)

You really need to think about what majors you are interested in

crazylilmonkee

HSC
HEy Minai,
i guess im a lil confused with this whole uni thing at the moment.. i was thinking of marketing and psychology, if i could get into do the combined degree with science...
wat do u major in? or is it economics? silly me..

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by crazylilmonkee
HEy Minai,
i guess im a lil confused with this whole uni thing at the moment.. i was thinking of marketing and psychology, if i could get into do the combined degree with science...
wat do u major in? or is it economics? silly me..
If u do a combined Commerce/Science, then yes, doing Marketing as your Commerce major and Psych as your science major is possible.

I major both in Economics and International Business, but I plan to transfer and do Accounting and International Business, if I don't make it into Law

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Whats International Business like? I was interested in International BUsiness Law and didnt know you could just do International Business.

Patricio

UNSW Member
yeh in ACCT1A there was no essay writing, but
they did make you keep a 'learning' journal and do a practice set.

Originally posted by Minai
I do all those subjects,
theres zero essay writing basically for the core subjects (except one essay in the final exam of Macroeconomics)

For me personally, I find Accounting the most interesting and enjoyable subject, because I find the maths/statistics (QMA and QMB) boring, and the Economics subjects too tedious (it isn't like what you're used to in HSC Economics, believe me)
did you hear Robert's dance tracks last semester @ the start of the accounting lectures? lol !

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Patricio
yeh in ACCT1A there was no essay writing, but
they did make you keep a 'learning' journal and do a practice set.
i believe they had a very fitting name for the practice set - NUTS !!

ooohhh, me doing accounting 1A second sem next yr ...

B

Bambul

First year is easy. Now that I'm in second year I can't go without studying and still get Distinctions. :(

If you're doing economics, then 1st year micro/macro will be very easy, mainly revision (esp. macro). Half of QMA is revision of year 12 maths (depending on what level maths you do) and QMB is all probability/statistics.

I found accounting pretty easy too, but I knew a lot of the background stuff before I went to uni because I had an interest in it. I would ask stuff and get replies like: "No, you don't learn how to get around cashflow statement rules in this subject - you have to wait until 3rd year to do that".

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by ezzy85
Whats International Business like? I was interested in International BUsiness Law and didnt know you could just do International Business.
International Business is good. I like the subjects - its good to have a subject which is different from the other 3 core subjects. In first semester, you learn about multinational corporations and how they operate across borders, learn about the WTO and world trade, government's and businesses, and cultural influences on business.
In second semester, the subject is Managing Across Cultures, which is pretty interesting, as you learn how to become an international human resource manager, learning to deal with cultural differences in business relationships - lots of case studies!

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
International Business is good. I like the subjects - its good to have a subject which is different from the other 3 core subjects. In first semester, you learn about multinational corporations and how they operate across borders, learn about the WTO and world trade, government's and businesses, and cultural influences on business.
In second semester, the subject is Managing Across Cultures, which is pretty interesting, as you learn how to become an international human resource manager, learning to deal with cultural differences in business relationships - lots of case studies!
so thats different to IBL, right? where can i found specific info about this, it really sounds interesting.

Sammmmmuel

so thats different to IBL, right? where can i found specific info about this, it really sounds interesting.

Just search the internet site... if not try entering it on a search engine.... thats how i find specific info on all the uni courses im interested in

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
kinda - If u do an international business major, u can take an elective subject called International Business Law, from the School of Business Law. But yeah if u wanted to focus more on IBL, u'd prolly be best doing a combined Law degree with commerce.

Here's some useful links:
http://www.unsw.edu.au/handbook/brC...ternational+Business&StudyLevel=Undergraduate

http://www.ibus.unsw.edu.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)