Bach. of science majoring in environmental studies (1 Viewer)

camsmith

HSC
Hi anyone majoring in environmental studies and can tell me what it's like? Year 12 student currently and am really interested into getting into an industry involving environmental sustainability/consultancy.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I believe someth1ng is doing environmental studies for one of his majors, so perhaps contact him if he doesn't reply here.

Just on a general note, if you're solely going to be looking at environmental science for your degree, I would actually recommend against the environmental studies major. I think a better option for you would be to major in geography, or double major in geography and biology. You'll cover pretty much the same content as an environmental studies major (in fact if you choose your subjects well then it would be exactly the same content), plus you'll have majors in more general disciplines which will give you both a broader overview of your field of study, and also allow you with a lot more post-degree options if you end up looking outside the area of environmental studies.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Hi anyone majoring in environmental studies and can tell me what it's like? Year 12 student currently and am really interested into getting into an industry involving environmental sustainability/consultancy.
I was told some 7 years ago by an elderly neighbour that his grandson, whose ATAR probably wasn't that great, was going to study such a course. Then it dawned on me that this makes sense. Whilst you need an ATAR of at least 98 to make a decent physicist, maybe an ATAR of 75 would easily get you into one of these Environmental courses, if not at USyd, at least one of the lower ranked Unis. And guess what. The Physics graduate would be struggling to find a job, whilst the early graduates in Environmental studies will find jobs more readily. The local Councils are always in need of such graduates, I would imagine.

But don't take my word for it. I'm only speculating. Do your own inquiry.

Good luck.

Last edited:

camsmith

HSC
It's interesting you say that. Recently went on an excursion with my earth and environmental science HSC class, and talked to a dude who was in the agriculture business and while its anecdotal, he told me that for every earth science graduate, there is 6 jobs waiting for them. I would really like to get into something like environmental consultancy for a large corporate company, would be a good salary as well as a half interesting job I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)