B Eco...Need help badly... (1 Viewer)

Sumthing

TIME TO KICK YOUR ASS!
HSC
I've been offered a position for B Eco @ UNSW

and i got a few questions floating around my mind, and hopefully you guys can help me :)

Im still deciding on whether to take up a single or double degree...

anyways
I was wondering:

- Can I transfer to a double degree if i start off with a single degree?
- Can I transfer to a single degree if i start off with a double degree?
- Can I transfer to B Com after first year without repeating an extra year?
and...
- Can I transfer to B Com after first year and without repeating an extra year and undertake another degree to start a double degree?

if anyone can help at all in answering these questions, I would be soooooooooooooooooooooooo grateful Thanks :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Sumthing said:
- Can I transfer to a double degree if i start off with a single degree?
Yes, provided you meet the requirements for the double degree.

Sumthing said:
- Can I transfer to a single degree if i start off with a double degree?
Yes, you can transfer out, or get kicked out.

Sumthing said:
- Can I transfer to B Com after first year without repeating an extra year?
Common subjects that you have done between degrees can be used as extra credit, ie, "I've done that one (or something similar or supercedes that one) already so I don't have to do it again"

Sumthing said:
- Can I transfer to B Com after first year and without repeating an extra year and undertake another degree to start a double degree?
See above.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
hey sunny how does it work out for other uni subjects related to the equiv unsw subj, how many subjects can u get academic credit for at unsw?

Sumthing

TIME TO KICK YOUR ASS!
HSC
Then it would be best to play it safe and go for a double degree, so if i feel the need to drop my unwanted degree I can do so without any hassles, rather than start with one degree and try gain an extra one?

B Economics and B Commerce i think learn the same things in first year, that is the core subjects of:

* ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
* ACCT1511 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1B (6 UOC)
* ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
* ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
* ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A (6 UOC)
* ECON1203 Quantitative Methods B (6 UOC)

which is 36 units i think...

But i dont think i can do actuarial std...coz

* students in Actuarial Studies programs substitute approved Mathematics courses for professional recognition for ECON1202 and ECON1203.

sunny

meh.
HSC
theone123 said:
hey sunny how does it work out for other uni subjects related to the equiv unsw subj, how many subjects can u get academic credit for at unsw?
I believe each faculty sets out their own rules for advanced standing, and that it requires an application process that needs to be approved. Most faculties have information on their website about their advanced standing rules.

https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/atoz/Admissions.html#Undergraduatedegrees:
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/commencing/AdvStand.html

Sumthing

TIME TO KICK YOUR ASS!
HSC
btw sunny... how does credit work

coz I hear it a lot, but I have no idea what it is, I always just thought its the amount of work load in that degree...

sunny

meh.
HSC
Sumthing said:
Then it would be best to play it safe and go for a double degree, so if i feel the need to drop my unwanted degree I can do so without any hassles, rather than start with one degree and try gain an extra one?
You should ask yourself whether you actually want the second degree - don't go and get it just because you can. Double degrees do require extra work and a consistent level of performance (typically a credit average).

Read more about the other half of the double degree to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into..

You can read about each degree in great detail in the faculty handbooks at the UNSW Publications handbooks page.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Sumthing said:
btw sunny... how does credit work

coz I hear it a lot, but I have no idea what it is, I always just thought its the amount of work load in that degree...
Credit as in credit points?

Most subjects at UNSW are 6uoc (units of credit). UOC's roughly reflect the number of hours of contact per week, usually between 5 and 7 hours for a 6uoc subject.

Sometimes you can use uoc's to gauge the amount of work thats needed. Each session a full time student needs to do 18uoc or more to qualify to be a full time student. 24uoc a session is considered the "normal" full load. Alot of degrees set out the requirements as having done XX uoc of Science/Engineering/Computer/Commerce/etc subjects...

Sumthing

TIME TO KICK YOUR ASS!
HSC
The thing is I do want to do it, its just i really cant be bothered doing the 2 years for it...and from what i hear, employers look more for experience than what degree you hold...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Sumthing said:

B Economics and B Commerce i think learn the same things in first year, that is the core subjects of:

* ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
* ACCT1511 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1B (6 UOC)
* ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
* ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
* ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A (6 UOC)
* ECON1203 Quantitative Methods B (6 UOC)

which is 36 units i think...

But i dont think i can do actuarial std...coz

* students in Actuarial Studies programs substitute approved Mathematics courses for professional recognition for ECON1202 and ECON1203.
If you do a double degree, your 4th subject in both semesters this year will go to the second degree.

You cannot major Actuarial studies in B Eco, but I think you can enrol in the individual courses, in case you transfer to Comm. (I'm unsure of this - try it and see if it lets you.)

Sumthing

TIME TO KICK YOUR ASS!
HSC
so does that mean in a double degree, say if i do BEc/BArts then my 4th subject in both semesters will do into my arts degree?

Even if i transfer to B.Comm i dont think i can do actuarial std coz the core subjects are different, namely ECON1202 and ECON1203.

and, do I need a credit av. to change into BCom ?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)