B Commerce / B Economics (1 Viewer)

Marianna

is there anyone wanting to do a B Commerce or B Economics...

I'm thinking about doing B Commerce (Liberal Studies) at Sydney.... maybe as another preference B Economics at UNSW but I dunno...

Marianna

I wanna do liberal cause I like the science and want to take a language elective through the arts

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
wats wrong with econometrics!

I dun think i'll get the 96+ required for BComm(LibStud)
I'll prolly put BComm/BArts double degree at Sydney, and do a language major in my Arts degree (cos im like u marianna, i wanna do a language too)

gigi

I was thinking of doing Com (lib studies) too cause I'd like to do some science but i'm not sure if I want to do an entire science degree with my commerce one.

i'd love to go to sydney but I've heard that unsw's commerce is better plus i'd like to double major in accounting and international business but usyd doesn't offer international business. it is all so confusing.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by sab_JTL
what exactly is liberal studies?
its essentially a combined arts/science degree, where u need to take a major in arts, a major in science, mandatory units in another language and compolsory units in mathematics/statistics
theres also options to do majors from other faculties, eg, economics

its a good degree for the general "all-rounder"

Alex

in other words, you can do economics practically without doing econometrics. I saw my cousin (who is doing B Eco atm and I nearly fainted at the crap). I have enough of it now, I dont want to go to uni to do more maths.

Marianna

I agree Alex and I'm doing 4u!

thats why I decided against maths n finance at uts

Marianna

Originally posted by gigi
I was thinking of doing Com (lib studies) too cause I'd like to do some science but i'm not sure if I want to do an entire science degree with my commerce one.

i'd love to go to sydney but I've heard that unsw's commerce is better plus i'd like to double major in accounting and international business but usyd doesn't offer international business. it is all so confusing.
that is also the predicament I find myself in... except sydney will be easier to get too and also I love my science so liberal studies lets me do both aswell as my language which will ultimately help me in international business ... but I don't know very confusing

gigi

i was thinking of doing a language with com lib studies but i'm really bad at learning languages. my mum told me not to worry too much cause all business is international these days anyway so it is kinda redundant.
syduni is easier for me to get to too plus me and i've wanted to go there for ages.
nice to know people are in similar situations.

ghostrider

Not everybody in the world speaks ENGLISH.

i'm not quite sure what you are saying. Are u saying that because business is so international that there is no point in learning a langauage?
if so, WHAT the HELL are u thinking.
The very concept that business these days is so internationalised and globalised means, that to really go somewhere, it is basically imperative that you learn another language. The majoiryt of Aust's trade is with Asia and if u speak an Asian langauge these days u r snapped up for the plummest commerce based jobs. These people go onto greater pay, higher positions, and a more interesting work life.
It depends what ur goals in business are- there is no point in learning another langauge if ur just going to be a small chartered accountant or some crap but if you intend to go onto the big time, which basically is not centred in Australia, learning another langauge is a huge stepping stone.
Without trying to sound too harsh, your comment reaked of anglocentrization (if there is such a word). what, do u think that everybody in the world speaks English, and if they don't they should learn it if they want to talk with you. Contrary to your assertions (shared by countries such as USA) there is a world outside yours that doesn't speak English.
In conclusion learning another language (esp Asian) is excellent for advancing your commerce careerthat is, if your aiming high.

gigi

i didn't mean that all business is international therefore i don't need to study a language. i meant all business is international therefore i don't have to co-major in international business.

obviously speaking another language would be of huge advantage in the world of international business, i'm worried that i might be incapable of learning another language, especially in the classroom.
and i know english isn't the only language in the world but it does seem to be the one taking over and most highly educated in non-english speaking countries speak english. i'm aware that is a horrible generalisation but it is just my way of rationalising the whole thing.
all that said, if i did a language i'd do french; only because i am part french, with a french passport, and my mum speaks fluent french.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
well i'd suggest, if u really wanna further a business career, to do an asian language, most preferrably Japanese or Korean, because those two nations are basically our two largest business partner's in Asia

Gubble

well after changing me preference for the 5th time i finally decided to do a double degree in Commerce/Science and now the only thing i need is a uai of 94.5

Marianna

Originally posted by Gubble
well after changing me preference for the 5th time i finally decided to do a double degree in Commerce/Science and now the only thing i need is a uai of 94.5
its still less than commerce (liberal Studies) 96.8

comm/sci will prob be one of my options as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)