Awful at drama... advice needed! (1 Viewer)

Haruka

HSC
At my school, drama and maths run in the same periods, and I chose drama because I thought it would be the easy way out after awful maths results in year 10. (My reasons for picking music were the same, since it was either that, modern history or business studies. Dropped it eventually, but there's no backing out of this one or else no ATAR)

Turns out it wasn't so easy after all since I found out how much I hate getting up and speaking in front of an audience. Most of my classmates are outgoing and popular, whereas I generally keep to myself. My individual project (script writing) is scary enough since I'm way behind in terms of progress, but the group performance is scarier since I just can't act.

Any tips for a struggling Drama student with terrible stage fright? Or is my ATAR doomed all because I picked this really tough subject?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

senorceepa

HSC
For me, I only picked drama because I was bored and didn't want to do maths (funnily enough, I ended up picking up General Maths anyway). I too am quite introverted and horrible and acting but after a while, that fear of going up on stage goes away. Like you, I'm doing my HSC this year and it really helps when you just stop caring about what other people think and just go YOLO when you perform. Really try to imagine what it's like to become the characters you are playing and just give it your best shot. If you fail, at least you tried your best. As for IP, I'm doing poster and promotion but I haven't done much aside from write a couple pages worth of notes and copy and pasted some stuff from spark notes, so you shouldn't worry too much now unless you've done less than that.

Good luck to you for Drama~ Hope you do well :)

ofallthestars42

HSC
Drama is one of those subjects where the people in that class know you in a pretty much entirely different light than everyone else. I used to be super uncomfortable around my fellow drama pupils but you just have to let it go. You wont be in school for much longer who cares what you do right? like you're ever going to see them again.
I find in acting a charachter the best part is that if you stuff up ... it was totally the charachter!! ;)
If you're having trouble with your group project talk to your teacher about getting put into a group you're more comfortable with. Also maybe talk to your group about the fact that you aren't to confident and you either need help, or a role that suits your actual real life self and whom you can empathise with?

Good luck with whatever you do! Don't stress, you'll get around it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)