Augustus' maintainence of Power (1 Viewer)

Master Gopher

HSC
I'm currently trying to do some practice essay questions on Augustus' development and then maintainence of power/constitutional position (I'm aware those are different things, it's really 2 questions stuck together in case I get the other one).
Anyway I have plenty on the development/rise to power. However, nothing really concrete on his maintainence of that - what are the key points I need to focus on?
(It's an 'Explain' question, btw.)
Thanks for any help!

Master Gopher

HSC
....please...the exam is tomorrow.... I have a study guide but it's incredibly vague. I don't want to have to bullshit. Anyone at all??

Aimz- Lou.

Ok. Augustus miantained his position by:
- ensuring all his power was given to him by the senate. Even though Maius Imperium proconsularae was unconstitutional the people were happy for him to have it because it was given to him by the senate.
- His renunciation of power at the first and second settlement. This was vital because it demonstrated to the roman people that he did not want to be a dictator- something that they were extremely aftraid of. He was thus given back all his power, and gained more.
- His auctoritas. 9Influence that stems from respect.) This meant that people carried out hi will simply because they respected him, he very rarely needed to enforce his will or impose it on people.
- He had control of twenty of the twenty eight legions. The army was VITAL for the maintenance of power, and he had complete control over the moajority of it, and could command the other eight legions through his MIP.
- His reforms benefited the people of rome, particularly the grain supply. Tacitus says that 'his cheap food policy was successful bait for civilains." By keeping the people happy, he reduced the chances of revolt.
- The introduction of pax romana contributed to his auctorita and also to keeping the people happy. He was credited as a god because of this- "A god brought us this peace" - Ovid.

Does that help at all? Any more questions?

Master Gopher

HSC
Ok, that's all very clear. Would some mention of his propaganda also be of help? (I just thought of that because you mentioned Ovid).

Thankyou very much!!

Aimz- Lou.

Definitely. meniton of propaganda is really important, sorry I forgot to mention it. He used buildings, literature, statues, etc, to conince the poepl that it was normal for one man to have many different roles. The best example is a series of statues, they depict Augustus as General, statesmen, Religious leader, and god. A series of statues at the Augustan Forum depicts a line of 28 noble and respected senators. Augustus has placed a statue of himself at the end, and thus suggests that he is simply "carrying on" the tradition of the republic.
Maintaining the facade of the republic was also a good tool. Vitellius goes so far as to say that "the pristine form of the republic was recalled as old." This was important for keeping the people happy.

Master Gopher

HSC
Thanks again, that covers everything I need for tomorrow. :)
It's only a practice exam, but I want to know I can do it for the real one on thrusday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)