art major work. (1 Viewer)

deadspiderss

HSC
:spin: thanks to anyone that joins this thread!

so, our teacher is already pushing us to start sketching and of course mapping out ideas towards our major works. obviously i’ve started year 12 this term and would just like to know some more ways i can effectively work on this as well as other subjects when i begin to start constructing my artwork properly? i am neurodivergent so new routines can throw me off and sadly causes me more stress.

i do and am extremely into and focused on legal and advanced english as well (not that i’m not like that with art as well) and i think that’s where my main problem lies, as my already made study routine will overlap. any tips from maybe someone who’s doing/done both of those as well?

aperfectdayfor

HSC
fellow neurodivergent art student here, hi! I recently submitted my completed body of work so I hope my experiences can help you out a bit :)

in my opinion, art is one of the easiest subjects to work into your study routine. there isn't too much content to memorise compared to a subject like legal studies or even english.
since you can't study for section 1 of the written exam, and you get multiple essay questions that you can pick from in Section 2 (meaning that you're basically guaranteed to be safe and you won't have a question that you don't know how to answer), the only knowledge you really need to know is maybe 5-7 artists + a couple of their artworks in detail, and some terminology and references that you'll pick up naturally along the way. studying for theory is the part of art that you should probably integrate into your study routine. i think a couple of hours of theory each week will already put you ahead of your peers, because most students are consumed by the artwork that they don't see how equally important theory is too.
theory already makes up 50% of your art marks, so please don't think that the major work is anything too overwhelmingly huge. when you think about english or legal, you're studying for 100% of your grade. but the major work is only worth half of art.

before term 3 next year, you'll get a good amount of time in class to work on your artwork which will usually be more than enough time for an average major work even if you don't put in extra time outside of school.
because of this, you don't need to set aside too much time in your regular study schedule to fit in your body of work. so you don't need to think too much about it. however it's always good to put more effort in to grab that band 6, so i would say that you should always take your artwork home (if possible) after working on it at school so it's always there if you need to work on it.

if any change in a regular routine is difficult for you, i would suggest scheduling 1-2 hours of major work time each week and just following that throughout the year.
but if you think you're alright with a little bit of flexibility, don't strictly plan when you'll work on your artwork, because sometimes if you're in art block and you force yourself to create, the piece turns out worse than your full potential :(
whenever you feel sick of your other subjects (e.g. if you planned 3 hours for english but got tired of it/distracted after 2 hours, you could fill in that time by working on your art), or when have a bit of free time you could use it as an opportunity to do your major work. whenever you're taking a break from studying, you could put on some youtube videos/music and relax while doing art.

don't feel too stressed! if you still do, i'll tell you that i procrastinated starting my piece for eight months and did the entire thing over the two-week term break before it was due. i really don't recommend going down the same path as me haha, but it's just proof that it's not a huge scary project that you need to be constantly sacrificing your time for. just make sure you're meeting any assignment/progress submission deadlines and you'll be completely fine :)

deadspiderss

HSC
fellow neurodivergent art student here, hi! I recently submitted my completed body of work so I hope my experiences can help you out a bit :)

in my opinion, art is one of the easiest subjects to work into your study routine. there isn't too much content to memorise compared to a subject like legal studies or even english.
since you can't study for section 1 of the written exam, and you get multiple essay questions that you can pick from in Section 2 (meaning that you're basically guaranteed to be safe and you won't have a question that you don't know how to answer), the only knowledge you really need to know is maybe 5-7 artists + a couple of their artworks in detail, and some terminology and references that you'll pick up naturally along the way. studying for theory is the part of art that you should probably integrate into your study routine. i think a couple of hours of theory each week will already put you ahead of your peers, because most students are consumed by the artwork that they don't see how equally important theory is too.
theory already makes up 50% of your art marks, so please don't think that the major work is anything too overwhelmingly huge. when you think about english or legal, you're studying for 100% of your grade. but the major work is only worth half of art.

before term 3 next year, you'll get a good amount of time in class to work on your artwork which will usually be more than enough time for an average major work even if you don't put in extra time outside of school.
because of this, you don't need to set aside too much time in your regular study schedule to fit in your body of work. so you don't need to think too much about it. however it's always good to put more effort in to grab that band 6, so i would say that you should always take your artwork home (if possible) after working on it at school so it's always there if you need to work on it.

if any change in a regular routine is difficult for you, i would suggest scheduling 1-2 hours of major work time each week and just following that throughout the year.
but if you think you're alright with a little bit of flexibility, don't strictly plan when you'll work on your artwork, because sometimes if you're in art block and you force yourself to create, the piece turns out worse than your full potential :(
whenever you feel sick of your other subjects (e.g. if you planned 3 hours for english but got tired of it/distracted after 2 hours, you could fill in that time by working on your art), or when have a bit of free time you could use it as an opportunity to do your major work. whenever you're taking a break from studying, you could put on some youtube videos/music and relax while doing art.

don't feel too stressed! if you still do, i'll tell you that i procrastinated starting my piece for eight months and did the entire thing over the two-week term break before it was due. i really don't recommend going down the same path as me haha, but it's just proof that it's not a huge scary project that you need to be constantly sacrificing your time for. just make sure you're meeting any assignment/progress submission deadlines and you'll be completely fine :)
thank you so so SO much for this! starting huge projects like these always make me feel nervous, and i’m glad i’m not alone in feeling like this. my main composed idea for my work has actually been heavily approved by my teacher today, he said he really loved it! i can sure take my sweet, sweet time when doing my creative work, so i took in the time consideration you suggested, and since we can’t take our works home because of previous regulations they’ve made within my school, me and my friends that are also in my class are allowed to stay back to 5 after school hours whenever we like to work on them (added onto our time during class, breaks, study periods, etc), such a relief! honestly keeping up on it and not procrastinating can be so hard, but i’m hoping since this piece is more of a subjective and personal one, i’ll keep on top of it.

i find the theory not as stressful as the artworks themselves for some reason, maybe it’s the avid legal and english student in me talking! my teacher has actually given me Louise Bourgeois to study for my personal case study. she’s created huge spider sculptures and i absolutely ADORE spiders, and want to include them in my major as i just resonate with them so much i could just go on and on!

again, thank you for replying to this! i really hope you get a good mark or one you’re happy with at least, this goes for all of your subjects as well, from one neurodivergent to another. :hug2:

aperfectdayfor

HSC
thank you so so SO much for this! starting huge projects like these always make me feel nervous, and i’m glad i’m not alone in feeling like this. my main composed idea for my work has actually been heavily approved by my teacher today, he said he really loved it! i can sure take my sweet, sweet time when doing my creative work, so i took in the time consideration you suggested, and since we can’t take our works home because of previous regulations they’ve made within my school, me and my friends that are also in my class are allowed to stay back to 5 after school hours whenever we like to work on them (added onto our time during class, breaks, study periods, etc), such a relief! honestly keeping up on it and not procrastinating can be so hard, but i’m hoping since this piece is more of a subjective and personal one, i’ll keep on top of it.

i find the theory not as stressful as the artworks themselves for some reason, maybe it’s the avid legal and english student in me talking! my teacher has actually given me Louise Bourgeois to study for my personal case study. she’s created huge spider sculptures and i absolutely ADORE spiders, and want to include them in my major as i just resonate with them so much i could just go on and on!

again, thank you for replying to this! i really hope you get a good mark or one you’re happy with at least, this goes for all of your subjects as well, from one neurodivergent to another. :hug2:
hi, so glad i could help out! i'm sure you're going to do amazing, art really is a lot better when you're passionate about your concept. totally agree that spiders are super cool!
it's a bit unfortunate you won't be able to take your piece home, but having extra time at school with friends around sounds like it would still be really nice. you already sound super on top of things, i wish you all the best!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)