Armistice and life in the trenches (1 Viewer)

petitepuce

HSC
Hi, i was just wondering, on the syllabus it says we need to know the events leading to the Armistice in 1918..what events are these?
Secondly, for the section 'life in the trenches dealing with experiences of Allied and German soldiers', what kind of points of comparison or contrast can I say? I know the general conditions in the trenches, but what are the similarities and differences between the Allies and Germans?
Thanks a lot :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
petitepuce said:
Hi, i was just wondering, on the syllabus it says we need to know the events leading to the Armistice in 1918..what events are these?
Secondly, for the section 'life in the trenches dealing with experiences of Allied and German soldiers', what kind of points of comparison or contrast can I say? I know the general conditions in the trenches, but what are the similarities and differences between the Allies and Germans?
Thanks a lot :)
Major Events To Always Consider:
1914: outbreak of war
Failure of military plans -> STALEMATE

1916: The battle of Verdun
The battle of the Somme
1917: US Entry Into War
The Third battle of Ypres- Passchendaele
1918: President Wilson's fourteen points
The Spring Offensive
The Armistice

British Trenches:
-Ordered with main and communication trench, broken up by traverses to prevent crossfire
-Duckboards used to give the solider a dry place to stand and avoid trench foot

German Trenches:
-Dugouts were often deeper and reinforced with concrete.
-They were on the defensive for much longer periods than the Allies

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Major Events To Always Consider:

British Trenches:
-Ordered with main and communication trench, broken up by traverses to prevent crossfire
-Duckboards used to give the solider a dry place to stand and avoid trench foot

German Trenches:
-Dugouts were often deeper and reinforced with concrete.
-They were on the defensive for much longer periods than the Allies
^^This was the case becaause^^

- Brit. commanders did not want Soldiers to be comfortable --> they have to take back land!!!
- Germans weren't as concerned with the above ---> They had taken half of France, therefore are in a commanding offensive position. They could stay there until the endof the war, not move and still win in a peace deal..

Stupid american involvement ---> Lusitania Bombing and the...Zimmerman Telegram (Mexico, will you please invade america? plz....lol) Americans provided numbers (60k a month!) and a much needed boost in morale on both the W.Front and the Home Front.

This lead to the desperate Spring Offensive/Ludendorf Offensive to try to win the war before the Allies were remanned...---> When the offfensive ran out of steam (lack of men and supplies) the Allied Forces countered, and smashed the Germans

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)