Argument for change essay (1 Viewer)

Enigma

does anyone have a good suggestion for the main argument to present in the AOS essay? i'm doing changing perspectives, using the Skrzynecki poetry.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I would suggest that you base your main argument around the focus of the question given in the exam paper and then support it with poetry evidence as per normal.

Enigma

yeah... but i was planning on preparing a generic essay before going into the exam, then hopefuly adapt it, if i can.

Originally posted by Enigma
does anyone have a good suggestion for the main argument to present in the AOS essay? i'm doing changing perspectives, using the Skrzynecki poetry.
Sorry but this has no relation to your question, just want to know if you know Enigma, and the musical genius behind it, Micheal Cretu and his lovely wife Sandra, I deeply revel in their music, my favourites include 'The principles of lust' and 'Sadeness'. Its just that most of my freinds haven't heard of Enigma and I think they are missing out. Oh yes the idea of a generic essay is a top notch idea for ppl like me who don't find it too easy to write a competent response, you know make it up on the spot in like 40 mins, as in every subject it is always best to prepare thoroughly and do what suits you the most, I've tried the i've read everything that has to do with my topic idea and quite naively went into my half yearlies thinking I could come up with a good response, and my results weren't so good, so afterwards I prepared a generic essay for my in class 40 min essay(under exam conditions but I was allowed to bring in my water bottle, yes the teacher was not aware that it brings me good luck thus giving me a distinct advantage over others) and I tailored it to suit the question and did so much better. Like I said before it really does come down to what suits you. Btw how have you approached english exams/assessments in the past? I guess it wouldn't hurt to have prepared essays rather than to have none at all , this way it bolsters your confidence and that is probably the key to success.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Preparing a generic essay involves memorising points and paragraphs, not arguments!

You'll find it much easier to adapt if you learn to write the argument as you go.

Enigma

ok.. but isn't it easier to base your points around an argument, for the sake of continuity?

and how would YOU recomend preparing for the AOS part III?
so far, i've been preparing each of my texts individually.. ie lookin at what aspects of change they address, what techniques are used to present them, and memorisin quotations...

Morgues

I think he meant the questions where they go "How has your study of change shaped your understanding of it?" - where your not given a view to discuss but have to argue your own view

If that is what you meant then some common ones are "Responces to change can vary", "Change is inevitable", "Change often occures due to time", "Change affects relationships", "There are always consequences due to change", "A change requires a catalyst"
etc etc

Enigma

yeah.. thats pretty much it.. because, we're meant to be able to express our own view.. and the syllabus says something bout "how our understanding of change has been affected..." etc doesn't it?

ah.. yep.. thats what i was looking for.. thanks.. : )

Originally posted by Lazarus
Preparing a generic essay involves memorising points and paragraphs, not arguments!

You'll find it much easier to adapt if you learn to write the argument as you go.
Actually, this is what I did. I had three main points related to changing perspective, and for each of the three points I had two or three PS poems to talk about, and a related material to talk about.
At the end, I chose Sky High-- this applied to all three of my points, and that was my essay complete--tying everything together in the end.
I did this for all my practice essays and my half yearly assessment task and I did fine.
I can apply it to pretty much any question thrown at me, because my arguments are flexible enough to encompass the questions....
At least this way, it gives me a kind of "comfort" or breathing room in the exam-- I have a "back-up" essay if all else goes wrong

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)