Arghhhh (1 Viewer)

losty

Fuck man this shits me so much..... you work your arse off on assessments and end up doing well getting over 80% for everything... neway my 90% that im getting for bio and ipt means shit all cause if i come first in assessments and the top hsc mark in the form is 75 cause it was a hard exam or whatever my 90 is disregarded and i onyl get 75!!! It really shits me and makes me not want to try as hard.... do you know what i mean... you get all happy that in the first half of the year ive gotten over 80% overall for everything but that doesnt guarantee anythinga dn it really really shits me....

Juliet

HSC
Wow! Great marks losty,wish i could be so lucky. Yeah i agree its an unfair system. Your marks should not be lowered because of what other people get.:mad1:

losty

hey thanx guys.... im happy with my marks too.... but reading some of the posts in this forum kinda makes me re think that when people get upset cause with having all their marks in the 90s they mightent get a uai of 99.9
another "ARHHH" to add to the list

losty

yeah i know but if the hsc exam is hard and the top mark is 75 then thats all ill get for assessments even if i did come first in both....

im happy with my marks its what they do with them that shits me

ellipsis

HSC
Don't worry, if its that hard the top mark is 75, the bottom mark will be really bad, and its all relative anyway (isn't it ?) You will still get the top mark, so you're not beaten really.

What strikes me as unfair, is what if you work really hard and get close second in assessments, but in the exam then say a few people bomb out because of some hard questions and the top mark is say 90, and second top is like 75.
Then despite going really well all year, and being really close, you would get a crap assesment mark - or am I wrong ? please say I'm wrong !!!!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
The scaling is there to ensure that you aren't disadvantaged by being marked tougher than a student might be at another school.

For example, you could do exactly the same in-school assessment as a student a another school, but there is a real chance that you will get 80% and another will get 90% even though you both answered the questions exactly the same (i.e one teacher is a more lenient marker than another).

I know it doesn't seem fair that you could have your 90% taken off you in place of a 75%, but just remeber that everyone is subject to the same scaling and in the end (even though it may not seem like it) it is the fairest way.

The thing you gotta remember is the UAI is a rank. Everyone is scaled the same as you and so you really end up getting the rank you deserve.

What you really have to worry about is making sure you get a high (preferably 1st) ranking so that you aren't relying on other people to get your marks. I know its hard to understand, but basically what happens is the top exam mark in your class becomes the person who is ranked first's assessment mark. This is worked out assuming that the top ranked person should get the top exam mark but in the case that they don't I guess its kinda like rewarding them for a year of hard work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)