Are we meant to get the same result as Pasteur in our experiment? (1 Viewer)

04er

HSC
For the two conical flasks (one with the s-shaped tubing attached and the other with a straight glass tubing) standing for several weeks with the broth in each initially boiled, should we get that the broth in the conical flask with S-shaped tubing is unchanged while in the conical flask with straigh tubing, the broth decayed?

I know I've been asking a lot of questions about this prac, but our class hasn't done it (and wont be doing it), so I was a unsure if we're meant to get the same results as pasteur did :O

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Yeah

the broth in the swan neck flask is meant to virtually unchanged, because the microbes from the air have been trapped due to the hsape of the neck- if you're still unsure about this prac look in any bio textbook. It's a pretty straight foward prac just remember what pasteur was trying to prove (or disprove) , the mothod of his experiement, the results and conclusion and why? (microbes from air not being able to get tot he rboth in swan shaped neck)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I'm not sure if there is actually a 'first-hand investigation' relating to Pasteur's experiment, although there is some kind of dot point on it if I remember correctly. We sort of simulated his experiment, by using cheese, and (what are they called), they look like Agar plates, but don't have the agar bit- go figure. So yeah, we sealed some, didn't seal the others etc. That was the extent of our prac. Hope it helps

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
we didn't get the same results...in fact i dont think ours worked, we never got results, our teacher ended up chucking out the experiment. *Shrugs*

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
yulia, i find that most of the experiments we do end up wrong :D
as long as you know what SHOULD of happened, s'all good me thinks

Gomer

HSC
The way my biology class went about doing this prac was use two petree (sp?) dishes. Both with agar gell, one with the lid open, one with it closed.

Left the dishes open on a bench all lesson, then put them in the incubator at 37 degrees for abit.

Fundermentally the same as the original swan neck method. So yeah... heh.

-- Gomer

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Gomer said:
The way my biology class went about doing this prac was use two petree (sp?) dishes.
Petri ;)

Yeah, we did what Gomer did. Exposed a petri dish to the air, then closed it and left one covered. rather boring. It wouldve been interesting bending the swan neck flask. Lets see what we can bend them into :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)