Architecture (1 Viewer)

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Hey everyone. Hope your studies are as "fun" as mine are :eek: Anyhow... My real issue is the theory exam. I spent the final three weeks of school in hospital with an abcess behind my tonsils. To turn a long story short, i missed out on all the work after our trials. My teacher is now in Fiji, holiday, so i have no notes or aanything. I was wondering if anybody out there could do me the hugest of favours and send me some information about architecture in art (this is apparently what i missed out on).... I would be so appreciative if somebody would. Really, it would be the biggest help...
Thanx - maddogz

spam police

damn, i could tell you stuff about art in architecture.. but not architecture in art :(

what sort of information do you need, like it seems like a really weird topic, is it about how different types of architecture are protrayed in artworks or something...?

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
to tell you the truth - i have no idea what i need to know... coz i was away, i have no idea what was talked about... all i know is that i need stuff about art / architecture. my teacher said that there could be the possibility the architecture could be in the theory exam... she says its more than likely going to be in there, so i best study for it...
If you could just tell me everything about architecture and art and how they are linked or whatever, it'd be heaps appreciated.
thanx - maddogz

spam police

okay, did your teacher say that she thinks there'll be an architecture question in section 1 or section 2 of the exam..? cos if it's section 2, don't worry, 'cos there are 9 diff questions and you only need to choose one to write an essay on as a response. so obviously you'd do the one you know most about

if it's question one (which is possible, we got a design question last year and it was fucking hard for us cos we've only ever been taught about [fine] art in my school, not design or architecture) then ummmm it's more likely they'll ask you about architecture as an art form in itself, rather than architecture in art or the other way around.

i've got some theory notes on architecture which might help (i'm doing architecture in uni atm), i'll put them up ASAP okay dude..

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
My teacher reckons in Section 1 of the exam there'll be a question on it... SO yeah, some notes would be a massive help...
You can hit me on the e-mail if you want (cmaddogz@hotmail.com)
Thanks champ :)

- M A D D O G Z -

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
TOTALLY A GOOD IDEA!!! I hadn't even thought of that!!! Thanx natstar, champion! Off to the library i go.... HOORAY! ...
- M A D D O G Z -

tash

lalalala
HSC
my god we haven't done anything on architecture.hmm maybe i should go read something on it. but really, you can make stuff up about it if it's in section 1 cos not everybody in nsw is going to study architecture in art this year (eg. us!)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
yeah, that question on the bloody phillipe starck orange juicer from last year's exam... :rolleyes:

i never did architecture in year 12 either. or design, really. mostly fine art, and out of that, mostly modernism/postmodernism, which suited me fine :D

spam police

yeah that design question pissed us off heaps, we'd spent all this time learning about art history and we didn't even need to use it

hmm just a quick guide for architecture:

conceptual frames
subjective frame- is the building aesthetically pleasing? what are the sensory experiences felt when one walks through and around the space created by the architecture (eg big space, one would feel overwhelmed; small dark space, one would feel claustrophobic)? has the architect allowed his emotions/feelings to contaminate his architecture (very rare)? what was the architect's initial aims in his design, what narratives (if any) has he sought to impose in his design?

cultural frame- when was the piece of architecture designed? did the architect belong to a certain group of artists who sought to defy certain conventions/attempt to allow new freedoms of thought (e.g le corbusier and the other modernist architects)? does the architecture in any way reflect the social attitudes of the time in which it was designed?

post-modern frame- does the architecture try to defy traditional limitations and ideals of construction/design? has it been influenced by 'older' architecture (especially classical greek and roman architecture which are often precursors of modern designs..this could be done through choice of material, design of form/space, spatial configuration, colour, etc)?

structural frame- how has the architect integrated the various components of the architecture in order to produce an effective result (think about form, space, light, colour, scale, proportion, order, structure, are there any rhythms/patterns?, material)?

Practice- essentially, an architect overlooks the entire design process of a building, from initial site explorations and land surveying, to final interior/exterior finishings.
tasks which are required to be done by the architect include:
  • initial site explorations
  • employment of surveyor to correctly measure up site
  • meetings with client to understand his/her needs and wants
  • with the client's needs in mind, the architect then makes suitable designs, and makes working 3d models, computer aided/hand drawn ink plans, renderings ('artistic' drawings) and presents his/her designs to the client
  • client and architect decide on the most suitable design and architect then makes final drawings and model, before the construction processes
  • structural engineers, plumbers, the local/state council (for construciton permission), electricians, building construction teams, etc (i.e other professionals) are contacted and they all collaborate to work on the design
  • safety inspectors check the building, and interior designers/architects are employed to provide finishing touches

obviously there are other steps but these are the essential basics. the most important thing to remember is that architects work as a team, with other professionals, and this form of 'art' is a collaborative process.

conceptual framework
artist- the architect and his/her background, whether or not they belong to a group/movement

artwork- the building/space, how aspects such as line, form, shape, material etc (as above) are important; how do they convey meaning?

world- whether or not social ideals/attitudes are inscribed in the building/space

audience- the entire world is audience to architecture; how do we respond to particular types of architecture?

anyway that's just me trying to relate architecture to the visual arts syllabus, hope it helps anyone

Last edited:

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
WOWSERS spam police! you are an absolute champion! thank you so much for all that stuff, it's gonna be the biggest help! thanx heaps again champ, im sure most of the people who read this board will appreciate what you've done for us. With what you've put up, let's hope we get asked bout architecture, hey!?!
Thanks again,

- M A D D O G Z -

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)