And now, as we recover... (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
How did you guys find it? Any glitches?

I couldn't read that really complex kanji in number 3, but I couldn't think of anything for number 1, so I worked around it. Aside from all the nervousness and the pauses et cetera, it wasn't too bad, was it?

Any band fours out there?

hk31

HSC
yea...it wasnt that bad...i did the same set of questions as u LEX...
do u hear from anyone else and how they thought they went in the exam?

lizzy1004

HSC
oh yeh were u abke to read da kanji in numbe 1? cant look face to face one.. gosh i had to start with kono hattpyo ni sansei shimasu... coz i didnt know how to pronounce da kanji... bloody+_+ kkk anywayz i;m so glad dats all over and done wid

karnevil

HSC
i did 1 and 2. .... they were practically both on technology ! for #1 i just talked about the effects of using internet, sms, email, mobiles etc etc etc and how this has reduced face to face relations ( NINGEN KANKEI ) and how this is an emerging problem facing society. question 2 was piss easy

i spoke for 4:30 on the dot ! was stoked ... hope everyone feels confident about it

karnevil

HSC
and as for the question for #1 i left it out of my answer i couldnt read that kanji either. how the fuck can they put in kanji thats not even in the course? anyway for #2..i started out by rewording the question by going ( plain form ~ kadouka ni tsuite boku no iken wo iitai to omoimasu ) --- haha stole that little gem from the 2002 standards package.. thanks guyS ! :)

karnevil

HSC
one more thing...

were your preparation room supervisors very strict with the time they gave you? I ended up getting about 17minutes preparation because the lady was trying to juggle about 5 kids at once ! hahahaha

mle

17 min, r u serious??

This chick I was talking to b4 the exam went into the prep time a few min b4 me, and she was still in there when they called me out. Either she got more than 10min, or they screwed me over a tad (which wouldnt surprise me coz it felt like the shortest 10min of my life)

I couldnt read the kanji either... so I reworded, but not very effectivly.

yokudekinakattayo! baka dayo!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by lizzy1004
oh yeh were u abke to read da kanji in numbe 1? cant look face to face one.. gosh i had to start with kono hattpyo ni sansei shimasu... coz i didnt know how to pronounce da kanji... bloody+_+ kkk anywayz i;m so glad dats all over and done wid
kanjiru => "to feel"

moogle

I eat kuponuts.
HSC
N/A
having a chinese background does have its advantages hehe ..

anyway um i'm pretty sure that kanji has popped up a few times in the resource sheets (those sheets with the issues on them ..) and maybe the prescribed passages.

and i've seen it a few times in continuers >.>;;

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by moogle
having a chinese background does have its advantages hehe ..
Yes, but sometimes the kanji have been simplified differently in Chinese and Japanese to the point that a Chinese character in Japanese will mean something very different. Be careful to learn all your kanji as Japanese characters, not mere extensions of Chinese :)

anyway um i'm pretty sure that kanji has popped up a few times in the resource sheets (those sheets with the issues on them ..) and maybe the prescribed passages.

and i've seen it a few times in continuers >.>;;
It often appears in extension, and I'm not sure that the Board of Studies has any documentation stating which kanji must have furigana and which must not. It's generally assumed that if the text has the kanji without furigana then the Board can get away with it too. If you've seen it in the continuers course, it doubtless had a footnote explaining what it means ;)

Last edited:

moogle

I eat kuponuts.
HSC
N/A
yeh in extension the kanji (if i remember correctly, the word is "yuka") for floor/surface is the character used for "bed" in chinese ..

kinda misleading hehe

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
yeh in extension the kanji (if i remember correctly, the word is "yuka") for floor/surface is the character used for "bed" in chinese ..

kinda misleading hehe
Yes, it is yuka, and YES, this is EXACTLY what I mean. Which is why it is important to learn the Japanese independently of the Chinese!

Last edited:

jogloran

Originally posted by Lexicographer
Yes, it is yuka, and YES, this is EXACTLY what I mean. Which is why it is important to learn the Japanese independently of the Chinese!
I disagree.

To start, the meaning 'bed' is carried by the other reading of the same character, toko. And if you have the advantage of knowing Chinese, you should find that remembering new characters is a simpler task. In addition, a large percentage of two-character compounds ought to be familiar, unchanged from the Chinese.

It's a big advantage because you should be able to read these compounds with no problem with one more thing in mind: Japanese on-yomi readings are regularly derived primarily in two ways (kan-on and tou-on). This explains why many kanji have at least two similar on readings. If you know as a kind of guide which Chinese sounds correspond to which resulting sounds in Japanese (by comparing Chinese and Japanese pronounciations), you'll be able to read many compounds *and* usually get some gist of their meaning. The problem, of course, is that knowing which compounds use the kan-on and which the tou-on is generally a matter of experience.

As an example, the kanji (kun-yomi 'tadashii') has kan-on shou and tou-on sei. They have different readings in the compounds (front) and (proper).

In any case, if you have some potential advantage, you should try to make the most of it :D That's my secret.

[Knowing Chinese isn't going to help you with kun-yomi, except for the possible advantage that simply being familiar with ideograms may give you.]

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Again, Jogloran is perfectly right. Of course, I didn't ever say that Chinese was a disadvantage :p

Just don't rely upon it. Perhaps what I should have said was "...learn the Japanese independently of the Chinese to be sure of meaning, rather than expecting the meanings to be congruent".

Most compounds are transplanted directly from Chinese ones and can therefore be read by Chinese-proficient students without difficulty. My point is that you should make an effort to learn the readings and meanings anyway. :)

moogle

I eat kuponuts.
HSC
N/A
hmmm my opinion is that ........... if i have no fishing idea what the kanji means or how it is read ....... i usually try to figure it out from my chinese hehe

i actually remember some prounciations of japanese words because they sound familiar with the chinese readings :D

bonus for me, sometimes (unless it's like yuka or something .. hehe)

moogle

I eat kuponuts.
HSC
N/A
cantonese ... only! :D

wasn't there when they started to teach kids mando ahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)