Alignment / raw marks (1 Viewer)

aqwerty13402

HSC
Could someone explain to me what allignment and raw marks are? I think I know raw marks (literally just your exam score straight up). Is allignment the same as scaling? Or is it moderation or something? The raw mark data base is confusing me a bit IDK

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Moderation, alignment and scaling are all different processes. NESA performs moderation and alignment, while UAC performs scaling. Moderation is the process that NESA uses to determine the Assessment Mark, which is the mark that reflects your internal performance and contributes 50% of your overall HSC mark for a subject. Moderation essentially considers students' ranks within their school cohort alongside HSC exam marks achieved by their school cohort to determine Assessment Marks.

On the other hand, alignment is a process that modifies a raw HSC exam mark simply to indicate a student's level of performance against the different band descriptors in a subject. This produces an aligned HSC exam mark, and is the mark that is reported to students. Unlike moderation, alignment has no effect on a student's ATAR, because aligned marks are not used in the calculation of ATARs.

This brings us to scaling, which is the process that is performed as part of determining a student's ATAR and occurs after the moderation process. UAC takes a moderated Assessment Mark as well as a raw HSC exam mark (i.e. neither mark is not subject to alignment), producing a raw HSC mark. This is the mark that UAC scales, resulting in a scaled HSC mark to be then used in determining the student's ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D

aqwerty13402

HSC
Moderation, alignment and scaling are all different processes. NESA performs moderation and alignment, while UAC performs scaling. Moderation is the process that NESA uses to determine the Assessment Mark, which is the mark that reflects your internal performance and contributes 50% of your overall HSC mark for a subject. Moderation essentially considers students' ranks within their school cohort alongside HSC exam marks achieved by their school cohort to determine Assessment Marks.

On the other hand, alignment is a process that modifies a raw HSC exam mark simply to indicate a student's level of performance against the different band descriptors in a subject. This produces an aligned HSC exam mark, and is the mark that is reported to students. Unlike moderation, alignment has no effect on a student's ATAR, because aligned marks are not used in the calculation of ATARs.

This brings us to scaling, which is the process that is performed as part of determining a student's ATAR and occurs after the moderation process. UAC takes a moderated Assessment Mark as well as a raw HSC exam mark (i.e. neither mark is not subject to alignment), producing a raw HSC mark. This is the mark that UAC scales, resulting in a scaled HSC mark to be then used in determining the student's ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D
Wait I am a bit confused still with allignment. Are the alligned marks the same marks that are used when they do the 50% thing? Or do you still need to actually score a 90% as your raw exam mark to get a band 6

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait I am a bit confused still with allignment. Are the alligned marks the same marks that are used when they do the 50% thing? Or do you still need to actually score a 90% as your raw exam mark to get a band 6
No, moderation uses raw HSC exam marks. In other words, moderation precedes alignment. In terms of achieving a band 6, you may find that an aligned HSC mark (which NESA informs you of) is a band 6, although there is a chance that this mark may have been lower than a band 6. Of course, this can differ between subjects. You can access your raw HSC exam marks by requesting them at a fee from NESA.

aqwerty13402

HSC
No, moderation uses raw HSC exam marks. In other words, moderation precedes alignment. In terms of achieving a band 6, you may find that an aligned HSC mark (which NESA informs you of) is a band 6, although there is a chance that this mark may have been lower than a band 6. Of course, this can differ between subjects. You can access your raw HSC exam marks by requesting them at a fee from NESA.
oh damn. I got excited for a second because I thought that your alligned marks were what is used. I was so excited to get a B6 in maths advanced with a raw mark of 76/100. Thank you tho :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
oh damn. I got excited for a second because I thought that your alligned marks were what is used. I was so excited to get a B6 in maths advanced with a raw mark of 76/100. Thank you tho
lol you can get B6 in math with 76 raw, depending on the alignment that year.
2021, 74 went to 90
2022 & 2023, 79 went to 90
i think jimmy is right in the fact that raw marks are used for moderation, but ur marks are still aligned afterwards.
in the vast majority of subjects, you don't need 90 raw for a band 6

aqwerty13402

HSC
lol you can get B6 in math with 76 raw, depending on the alignment that year.
2021, 74 went to 90
2022 & 2023, 79 went to 90
i think jimmy is right in the fact that raw marks are used for moderation, but ur marks are still aligned afterwards.
in the vast majority of subjects, you don't need 90 raw for a band 6
wait is this true? PLS DONT GIVE ME FALSE HOPE HAHAHA. Wait so your mark after MODERATION is subject to allignment? But this would affect ur ATAR right? Jimmy said it wouldnt

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
wait is this true? PLS DONT GIVE ME FALSE HOPE HAHAHA. Wait so your mark after MODERATION is subject to allignment? But this would affect ur ATAR right? Jimmy said it wouldnt
It seems like I was misunderstood. When I said moderation precedes alignment, I meant moderation comes before alignment. So yes, your mark after moderation is subject to alignment. However, alignment has no effect on your ATAR because aligned marks are not used in calculating ATARs.

aqwerty13402

HSC
It seems like I was misunderstood. When I said moderation precedes alignment, I meant moderation comes before alignment. So yes, your mark after moderation is subject to alignment. However, alignment has no effect on your ATAR because aligned marks are not used in calculating ATARs.
Wait so. idk. im just. confused. so does that mean that you CAN get like a 79 in advanced maths, and it is equibvalent to a 90? Like ik not in moderation but like. IDK IM SO CONFUSED WTF THE POINT OF IT IS THEN??

carrotsss

HSC
Wait so. idk. im just. confused. so does that mean that you CAN get like a 79 in advanced maths, and it is equibvalent to a 90? Like ik not in moderation but like. IDK IM SO CONFUSED WTF THE POINT OF IT IS THEN??
yes, if you want to get technical then raw exam and unaligned but moderated school assessment marks are used for your atar, but for all intents and purposes it doesn’t really matter since unless you pay you won’t get your raw marks and atar calculators etc all show you aligned-> atar conversions, and the aligned marks are the ones you receive on results day.

to simplify: yes, if you got a 79 for your raw hsc exam mark last year in maths advanced, you would receive an “exam mark” of 90 on hsc results day.

aqwerty13402

HSC
yes, if you want to get technical then raw exam and unaligned but moderated school assessment marks are used for your atar, but for all intents and purposes it doesn’t really matter since unless you pay you won’t get your raw marks and atar calculators etc all show you aligned-> atar conversions, and the aligned marks are the ones you receive on results day.

to simplify: yes, if you got a 79 for your raw hsc exam mark last year in maths advanced, you would receive an “exam mark” of 90 on hsc results day.
so that would count as a band 6? and scale accordingly?

liamkk112

HSC
so that would count as a band 6? and scale accordingly?
yeah it will show up as a band 6 on ur testamur, and supposedly that means ur in the top 10% or wtv % of marks, which would be good for ur atar calculation. so weirdly, a 80 mark can be treated like a 90 mark, depending on the mark distribution of the exam

aqwerty13402

HSC
yeah it will show up as a band 6 on ur testamur, and supposedly that means ur in the top 10% or wtv % of marks, which would be good for ur atar calculation. so weirdly, a 80 mark can be treated like a 90 mark, depending on the mark distribution of the exam
ok thank you heaps HAHAHAHA

Babbabooey

HSC
Nah you don't need a 90% as your raw, as when the do the average out the exam and assessment mark, both are aligned. Also here view this
1714820310296.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)