Ag science (1 Viewer)

Samisfat

Fat holmesy
HSC
I'm debating what university to attend next year doing ag science. At the moment uni of sydney is my first preference but i've been told that charles sturt in wagga is better uni to attend. Any advice would be great
thanks

gaj

HSC
I have also heard that it is a very good uni and the course there is also good, but it is pretty far from everthing like family, friends, watever
Im trying to get in to Vet Science there or Ag Science at Sydney
Goodluck wit results

mountainman

HSC
Why would you go to a city uni to do ag science?
By far the best place to do ag science is UNE at Armidale, they have Ag, Rural science, Livestock science, Agronomy, Agribusiness, Agricultural economics etc. Plus you are in the middle of prime agricultural country with sheep and beef, only 1 hr from intensive livestock at Tamworth, broad acre cropping out west, dairies at the coast. What agriculture is at Sydney? It just seems silly to move to the city to learn about something in the country when by far the best (and easiest) option is in rural areas.
Then there is Charles Sturt, which is pretty good, they have ag, horticulture, wine making, equine science, agronomy etc.
It looks much better if you have done a rural based degree in a rural area, unis such as UNE have pretty close to 100% employment for B. RuralSc. grads as they have a good reputation for agriculture.
Really doesn't make sense to go to sydney.....

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Plus UNE and CSU offer some of their courses by distance, which means that if you are an internal student you can (usually, but don't quote me) choose a subject by distance (they send you out the study notes) if you don't like the scheduling of that particular class, i.e. clashes with when the bar opens.... or else if you get a job halfway through your degree, you can continue studying.

Samisfat

Fat holmesy
HSC
UNE is too far i live bout 2 hours from the victorian border. I think i mite go to sydney due to the fact it isnt far from home and i have some family there. Also the degree offers some dairy in it compared to wagga. Anyways thanks for the info i dont know how i will go in the big smoke if it dont work out for me i can always transfer.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
mountainman said:
What agriculture is at Sydney? .....
Most of USyd's Ag courses got transfered to CSU when they took over USyd's Orange campus, but they still offer a little bit at the city campus.

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
hey there guys, was just reminscing with an old mate about how we first chatted on this agboard here and still are in touch - so figured i'd pop in!

anywhos, back on track - i'm a starting my third year in agscience at usyd, and despite the whole from the city thing i exhibit sheep, junior judge and just came back from Yass on workexperience. i realise that this questioning started back in october - but it'd be great to hear if any of you did end up at usyd, follow the show circuits or anything on topic ay?

anywhos, i dont check here too often so feel free to email me at 9ine.20.6ix@gmail.com - spam me and die =P

cheers,
sam.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)