Advice (1 Viewer)

HSC
Ok...I've got a bit of a dilemma on my hands. Apparently 96.3 was enough to get me into B/Com at Melbourne. Question, now, is should I accept? I'm in Sydney right now, and hadn't really expected to be offered a place. I'm pretty sure that I'll clear the cutoffs for Com in USyd as well. I've got the following to consider:

1. I'm living in Sydney right now. I was pretty enthusiastic about moving to a new city last year, but now I'm just lazy. I had to get thrown out of home before I moved properly. Plus there's the all the "friends and family" thing, but that's secondary.

2. I understand that it's a New Generation US type degree. Which implies postgrad study. While I'm planning to get a Masters sometime, the reason I slacked off was that I didn't feel like spending 5+ years in Uni studying law or med. I threw in an app because the faculty was ranked highest in Australia, but the drop in cutoff has me a bit worried. I'm pretty much aiming for maximal employability in minimal time, so that postgrad thing is...offputting.

Anyways, my question is, would it be worth it?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Well, what are you hoping to major in, in the BComm? And what kind of job are you looking to have after graduation?

Last edited:
HSC
I'm thinking finance. Something lucrative, the kind where 1%=billions. So I guess I'm also asking whether Melbourne tends towards practical or theoretical teachings.

-philly

HSC
there wasn't a significant drop in the cutoff mark for BCom at melb...so i don't see why this has been factored into your usyd vs. umelb decision?

further postgraduate study isn't necessary after completing BCom, you can go straight into employment.

is the price of moving not an issue?

kenny.

HSC
The reason for the drop in cutoff has nothing to do with whether the course is good or not. Most likely it is because people don't want to go to Melbourne uni with it's new gen courses so they'd rather go to Monash, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)