Advice needed (1 Viewer)

pinkbyte

HSC
Hi everyone,
I am hoping to get into University of Sydney for Spring Semester. I am still waiting on my offer from UAC and just realised that applications can be made up until June 30. I am hoping to do Immunobiology (hopefully I get the marks). I haven't science for a long long time (I have another degree) and so as you can imagine, I am quite apprehensive about this.

My question is, I am wondering if I could do a double major in Medicinal Chemistry and Immunobiology, as these areas interest me very much.

Any advice anyone could give me also on what I should do to prepare for doing science again at uni would be MUCH appreciated. I would really like to get started early.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Doing your own self study always helps; perhaps work through some HSC books at your local library on mathematics, chemistry and biology to get you up to speed. I'd also recommend doing some of the university's bridging courses if you can afford it. Mathematics and Biology won't be offered again until early next year, however, Chemistry can be done at any time externally. See here for more information: http://sydney.edu.au/science/chemistry/studying-chemistry/bridging-course.shtml.

Just a heads up, you may be a bit short on choice of what subjects to pick in your first semester considering you have come in mid year. For the two majors you mentioned, there are 8 junior subjects that you will have to do; Chemistry 1A and 1B, both a Biology and Molecular Biology course, and 4 compulsory mathematics/statistics subjects. Chemistry 1A is offered in the second semester, and you could probably manage with the compulsory statistics course without remembering too much from high school, but otherwise, it wouldn't be advisable to take the biology and mathematics courses on offer this semester without the assumed knowledge. That means many of your subject choices next semester would be general knowledge/elective subjects, and you would do the biology and mathematics courses next year.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I'm in the same situation. I headed back to uni to do a BSc this year, and it's been 10 years since I did any science or maths. I'm doing OK (to well) in junior units of chemistry (Chem1001), biology (Biol1003), and maths (Math1011, Math1015). Doing the chemistry bridging course mentioned above is a good idea; that's what I did (on my own), and it made the start of semester a lot easier.

So, yeah. You can do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)