Actuarial Studies VS Engineering (civil) (1 Viewer)

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
I'm kinda tossing up between these two fields, was wondering if someone could help with my decision. Comparison between: - job satisfaction -difficulty at uni, -demand, -income, - any other information which could assist me.

I'm looking at Macquarie for Actuarial and University of Melbourne for engineering.

~Thanx in advance ~

P.S i have a real interest in mathematics and will be doing ext.2 next year, so what field is more mathemtatical

P

pLuvia

Actuarial studies is more statistical mathematics than actual mathematics unless you combine it with a mathematics degree

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i heard acturial was a combination or probability, stats, finance and some other component...

engineering in general is hardcore maths with a lot of hours. acturial it is even more hardcore maths with minimal face to face hours

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Engineering, melbournes talent is far superior to sydneys.

lionking1191

HSC
Gitanjali said:
at the moment i am considering civil engineering at unsw/usyd/anu and actuarial studies at macquarie, though i have a greater affinity towards engineering because it is more diverse, whereas actuarial studies can get rather monotonous

crunching statistics for the rest of my life isn't exactly my idea of a thrilling profession but then again, it has its benefits

people seem to encourage actuarial studies because it pays well, but if you are good enough engineering can pay well too... it all depends on how much you genuinely enjoy and therefore excel in the occupation

of course most people disapprove of engineering with the 'women can't make good engineers' debate (i suppose men wouldn't have that problem), but i'd love to be out there in the world making a tanglible difference...

this year i did 4 unit mathematics and that is a major plus for engineering, as pretty much all of first year mathematics is covered in the 4 unit course

not sure what wrong_turn meant by face to face hours... at least in engineering you do something OTHER than mathematics, and the mathematics involved is often intertwined with other disciplines such as physics and human demography
it's a plus for actuary too. and they both pay well. how do you like phys?

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
lionking1191 said:
it's a plus for actuary too. and they both pay well. how do you like phys?
i love physics just as much as maths, very interesting topic i think, the concept are so interesting.

BTW thanks so far for the advice, i completed my UAC & VTAC application on the weekend, i kinda incorporated both( engineering & actuarial) in my preferences but majority being civil engineering.

Is anyone doing engineering at melb. university, if so how is it?

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
Gitanjali said:
at the moment i am considering civil engineering at unsw/usyd/anu and actuarial studies at macquarie, though i have a greater affinity towards engineering because it is more diverse, whereas actuarial studies can get rather monotonous
Well gees, lucky you don't do Accounting then, huh. I agree with all the other things you said though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)