A Student Who Repeated Hsc This Yr (1 Viewer)

Jimmy6166

hey everyone. this is James..
man... im soooooo angry..
this year i made the wrong choices even though i repeated my hsc.
the first thing that went wrong is that i was told by friends and teachers that assesments dont count much for the UAI. so when i went to do my assesements i was sorta relaxed. but i worked extra hard before the hsc.
secondly. i went to bankstown tafe. and the teaching there isnt all the great. the tests standards are relaxed if ya know what i mean. all the subjects i did this year were all different to last year except for 2u and 3u maths. but everything else was different. so i had a slight disadvantage. having only 3months for year 11 and 6 months for year 12 competing against all the other high skool students. My parents got separated/divorced at the beginning of this year because of my bad results last year which was like hell for me. Then me and my dad went into some real bad financial difficulties. relying in centrelink. had trouble paying for text books and excel books.
in the end I got for my examination marks. eng adv 88 society and culture 92 IPT 89 Ancient History 79 Maths 2U 83 Maths 3u 37/50 but my assesments really led me down. in the end i ended getting a UAI or 85.8.. but what really upsets me is that i didnt apply for the disadvantaged access scheme. because i think i would have got it... its just.. that i was so busy, stressed and scared about repeating and everything. i was too hassled to think much about it. the word about it didnt get to me about it.
after i found out it was too late. now im just missing like around 5 marks to do the course i want. commerce at Sydney Uni. what should i do??
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would give me some advice.
I hope this didnt take too long to read..
James~

Fi

Originally posted by Jimmy6166

My parents got separated/divorced at the beginning of this year because of my bad results last year which was like hell for me.
Hey James, to begin, don't blame yourself mate, some people just fall apart.

stop being so hard on yourself, you did well..........really well. Just do a BA or something that interests you, then transfer. Many students do that every year.

Remember to smile, it could have been alot worse, congrats on ur results:D

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Jimmy6166
. My parents got separated/divorced at the beginning of this year because of my bad results last year which was like hell for me.
I'm 100% sure that thats not true...I hope this doesn't come off sounding rude, but if thats "what it took" to make them divorce, then I'm sure their marriage wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway...it must have already been on rocky grounds.

As for missing out on the course...well, shit happens. You're among good company, I'm sure. Theres no one course that will bring happiness or a fulfilling life...pick another one. You've got a high enough UAI to have a pretty wide array of courses at your disposal. And you've probably spent so much time thinking about that one course that you haven't considered any others...go back to the good ol' UAC guide and have another look.
And yeah-maybe you can transfer into the course you orignally wanted anyway, or maybe the cut off will drop this year-who knows?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
there are other ways to get into the course you want to do ... eg go to tafe and get some credit points or better still start a course and transfer ...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
just do an arts course
there millions of majors that you may actually find really interesting (even if nothing will become of it when you have completed it) and then transfer. If you do something you are interested in you will have no trouble getting the marks you need to transfer. Consider it a year for yourself.

spooky

Why dont you do BCommerce at Macquarie? You just meet the cut-off mark, and if you go well in first year, maybe you can transfer?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Bummer about that. I got access for divorced parents and financial hardship, so you would have got it for sure, especially repeating the HSC and all that.

Maybe if you applied at each University individually, they'd give you a go, considering your extenuating circumstances, I mean, you've shown that you're comitted by repeating your HSC. Theres no harm in trying, Give the Uni's a call.

And if that doesnt work, you can always apply for it next year, and just take the year off or something.

ben

if you want to do commerce - why don't you try Business at the UTS Ku-Ring-Gai campus - it's UAI is at 85 or 86 I think. Plus I reckon business at UTS is better than Syd and NSW :)

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
jimmy, you've done really well!

i know how people say you can only blame yourself for not getting the marks you want, but i had a really bad 18 months leading up to the hsc and i can understand how it would have affected your study and eventual marks. all things considering you have done extremely well! remember that there are many paths to your destination and as a lot of people have said chose a similar course (if possible), do your best in the first semester/year and transfer to what you want to do. best of luck champion!

Jimmy6166

thanks for being so helpful

Thank u all for giving me all such good advice. I've been thinking about it. and i feel that i shouldnt have said bankstown tafe.
and it was part of my fault for not getting a good UAI. well not good but not as good.
to tell u the truth i was only hoping to get over 80 and i'd be over the moon. but since my mark was a bit higher i had more options to consider.
at first my target was BA at u syd. which was 80.05 thats i didnt really look into the EAS. I mean i've heard of it. but it wasnt that big to me and it was all new. so i didnt think i needed it.
anyways.
thanks very much for all ur advice.
at the moment im considering going to macquarie.
hopefully i can get into Bachelor of Commerce.
because i heard that macquarie sets the hardest business tests and im looking forward to the challenge. what worries me is the old boy triangle thing. im assuming that most ppl succesful in business come from usyd or unsw and will obviously pick someone that got a degree in that uni.
but im not that worried. as long as i work hard and try my best as well as maintaining contacts i should have opportunities.
The only hill im hoping to get over is that the mark for commerce last year is 85.85 and i got 85.8 which is very very slim.
im hoping the mark doesnt go up or that it goes down for me to get a chance to get in.
if not then im gonna work my ass off and transfer in the second semester to commerce.
im thinking of majoring in marketing with a psychology diploma or transferring to business administration with psychology.
anyways.
best of luck to all of you, and i've learnt from my experience and hope u do too that if u work hard enough u can achieve.
i've made some mistakes this year. as well as last year getting a uai of 60. and comming from trinity grammar. my parents spent a fortune working so hard to earn the money from the chinese take away shop to keep me there for 6 yrs only to see me fail.
they ended up selling their house in strathfield and their business as well. and im now living with my dad in chester hill.
anyways. my parents are real proud of me and Im happy at that.
thanks so much again.

good luck and best wishes everyone for this upcoming new year in Uni and ur future career path.

Happy New Year everyone!

~James

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You'll do great mate. Just make sure you follow your heart and do what makes YOU happy.

ben

Originally posted by schwang_thang

may i ask y? :)
I just think UTS is better :D - A more ... err... "modern" course.

Actually - I just like the Elective and Major choices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)