A couple of questions.. (1 Viewer)

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
A while ago I was talking with a teacher about career options, and told him I was considering law. He told me:

-There are more law students going through uni than actual lawyers
-By the time I'd graduate, there would be very little employment opportunities
-Most students are attracted to the course beacuse it 'fits' with their ENTER (UAI to nsw).
-It's generally boring
-It doesn't involve as much money as people would like to think.

What's your opinion?

doe

HSC
N/A
Epiphany said:
-Most students are attracted to the course beacuse it 'fits' with their ENTER (UAI to nsw).
-It's generally boring

What's your opinion?
im not doing law, but:

being a lawyer is not the only option open to those with law degrees, they are useful in a variety of fields. for example my eldest sister has a law degree and works for the government. many people seem to be attracted for the wrong reasons. junior lawyers get similar wages to other uni grads and work long hours, senior lawyers can get paid a lot. good plumbers get paid a lot too. boring is subjective, i read law texts and i find them very interesting. if you do a law degree there is a lot of reading which can get boring no matter how interested you may be in the topic.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Epiphany said:
A while ago I was talking with a teacher about career options, and told him I was considering law. He told me:

-It's generally boring

What's your opinion?

Without a doubt this guy failed to get into law eons ago and settled with teaching, becoming more bitter with each passing year. (sounds like my father)

monzi

HSC
Yeah you're right. You have to have a real passion for the law to be able to do it. Not just because you got the 99+ tp gain admission.

I mean you could get that UAI and enrol in law because it sounds good, but when it comes down to it, you'll be barely passing and eventually loose interest. I knew a girl who got 99.9, enrolled in UNSW law and dropped out after 1 month..she could not hack it nor did she like Law at all.

As said before, in the long run lawyers or barristers get paid alot. I know for a fact my friends father his barrister is a QC (Queens Council) He charges over 800-1000 dollars an hour for his services..

If your willing to put in the work, i think you will benefit.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
If you're really passionate about it, you can go far. It helps to have family connections too, heh. Three guys in my family managed to be justices and chief justices in the NSW supreme court.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Epiphany said:
There are other areas besides practice... the com/law students can tell you that hehe

Epiphany said:
No. Unless they abolish all lawyers that isn't going to happen. Some areas have notably been reduced such as personal injury claims (and occupational/industrial injuries), but aside from that there are many MANY areas of law, some which will always be there (eg. contracts/commercial transactions, crim, property, etc).

Epiphany said:
Nothing to do with how you'll enjoy it... a lot of com/law students like the degree to bolster their credentials, but hey what can you do.

Epiphany said:
-It's generally boring
I had that impression too. Until I actually started doing law subjects.

Before I ever considered studying law I imagined endless dry reading through old books - but having actually studied it now I find it the most interesting, challenging thing I've ever done, and I have an unquenchable passion for it.

Epiphany said:
It all depends on what you do with it. You can't expect to be rich just because you become a lawyer. There are so many public misconceptions about law and lawyers, but generally once you've established yourself and are working for a medium to large firm, you're going to be comfortable. Like all professions it obviously takes time to get experience and climb the ladder.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
I think they are all valid points...except the boring bit...

money dosen't really roll in if u work in aus...IMO

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
What's wrong with com/law students?

1000words

HSC
Epiphany said:

-It's generally boring

What's your opinion?
Your teacher's advice doesn't exactly sound very motivational!

I agree to some extent. I would hazard a guess that around 40% end up as solicitors or barristers. However, this is certainly not a bad thing! Those who chose a non-law path do so in a positive way i.e. they discover options other than being a solicitor or barrister. It's by no means a waste. I see this most often with commerce graduates when they enter the industry - a law degree stands out significantly.

I disagree completely. Perhaps he meant that the job market may be more competitive as there are more law schools and students.

Perhaps, but it shouldn't discourage you. If anything, you will have an edge over them throughout your studies and career.

-It's generally boring
Once your teacher has a contractual dispute with the school, or has to defend himself during disciplinary proceedings; I'm sure he'll take a sudden interest in the law.

As with any job, the likelihood of a high paying income depends on the market. Some fields are low paying compared to others. It's up to you to see whether they pay enough so spend some time looking at salary surveys to give you a general idea or ask someone with personal experience and who is able to give you more specific advice/information.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Asquithian said:
lol...its not like it's a big secret!
asq is gonna go on an assassination spree like on that movie starring adam sandler...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)