A book about the east (1 Viewer)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Hey

I need a fiction book about the east. It can be :
a fiction book that is set in, describing, or has anything to do with he east.

The more east it is, the better. The best type of book would be a fiction book that has arabs and muslims in it.

For example, The Sands of Sakarra is a book SET in the east, but thats about it. I would prefer a book that is about the east and the describes/talks about the muslims/eastern ways etc.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Not sure of any good fictional works about the 'east'. I have heard 'The Cairo Trilogy', by Naguib Mahfouz is very good. See a review at; http://www.complete-review.com/reviews/mahfouzn/cairo.htm.

As for a non-fictional work about the fictional representation of the 'East' (And I know this isn't what you asked for), I recommend 'Orientalism', by Edward Said. Sadly, many texts claiming to examine the 'Oriental' (As represented by the Middle East, for instance) life/way of mind are based upon erroneous, bigoted beliefs;
They must be represented, for they cannot represent themselves.-Karl Marx.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Gregor, you've hit the spot. ROFL, the 4u english work will be looking at the works of Edward Said

lol

rubylotus11

Ummm, The Last Emperor or maybe Soul Mountain which won the Nobel Peace prize for literature. I think they're fiction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)