queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
"describe and explain the ummune response in the human body in terms of:

- interaction between B and T lymphocytes
- the mechanisms that allow interaction between B and T lymphocytes
- the range of T lymphocyte types and the difference in their roles"

ok, im having a bit of trouble with this d/p
timmy's notes are outa excel and that book isnt that helpful, and tele's notes... well, are non-existing for this d/p..

so:

a) The interaction between B and T lymphocytes

B and T lymphocytes interact as they are both attacking the same antigen. Often the T-helper cells recognise the antigen and initiate the activities of B and T cells.

b) The mechanisms that allow interaction between B and T lymphocytes

The T cell produces a soluble factor after interaction with an antigen and B cells react with this factor, and its associated antigen to start producing antibodies.

Another mechanism for interaction is based between the T and B cell contact. The close contact comes about because of interaction with the antigen. This contact allows the T cell to signal the B cell to become a functional antibody-producing cell.

c) The range of T lymphocyte types and the difference in their roles

Killer T Cells - secrete chemicals that kill antigens directly and enhance the activity of macrophages and inhibit the replication of viruses.

Helper T Cells - enhance antibody production by B cells

Suppressor T cells - turn off immune response after infection has been controlled

Memory T cells - retain ability to recognise antigens, so that a subsequent invasions can be dealt with quickly.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by queenie
The T cell produces a soluble factor after interaction with an antigen and B cells react with this factor, and its associated antigen to start producing antibodies.
called interluekin-2 from memory... also, tis helper T cell that produces this chemical upon interaction with pathogens...

as soon as B cells comes in contact with this chemical, it starts to differentiate into plasma cells and memory cells and starts to make random antibodies... the rate of production of antibodies is phenomenal... among the lines of thousands per second (i think, not too sure on the rate...) when one of those random antibodies is effective against the pathogen, the plasma cells will continue making it until ur body is free of the pathogen while ur memory cell remembers the antibody that make it...

btw, cytotoxic T cell sounded uhm... better i think than killer... cuz killer is like, sooo murderous.... =(

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
=)

just scanned up my notes on this bit... it cnofused me in the beginnin as well... took me awhile to understand it... butyea, bio in context has some very detailed (and alot unnecesary stuff) on this dp)

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985

btw, cytotoxic T cell sounded uhm... better i think than killer... cuz killer is like, sooo murderous.... =(
:S hehe.. i checked that interkeukin-2 thing... it was right (besides the fact that u spelt it wrong) :p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by queenie
:S hehe.. i checked that interkeukin-2 thing... it was right (besides the fact that u spelt it wrong) :p
ops, so it's meant to be interkeukin-2 right???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)