2U maths with 4U (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Supra said:
i dont c the risk, they can drop back down if they want to (into 3u)...and i forgot to add that when we did 2u hsc in year 11 we did 3u work as well of course
Yea, but you would've missed any assessments that were done which makes the situation a bit more complicated.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
hmmm but remember we already did 2u, and if u were one of those 4u ppl who were accelerants and dropped down theyd prolly giv em estimates...something like that justin wud know he went to the same scool as me

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Supra said:
hmmm but remember we already did 2u, and if u were one of those 4u ppl who were accelerants and dropped down theyd prolly giv em estimates...something like that justin wud know he went to the same scool as me
The first 2u assessment is rather far into the 4u course, and if a student was going to be feeling unsure about whether they should be doing 4u they would know by then and at least request they can sit the exam just in case they do end up dropping.

A l

HSC
N/A
some comments

Students who have applied to do HSC Extension 2 Mathematics must do the Mathematics Extension 1 exam and the Mathematics Extension 2 exam. There is no 2 unit examination. Both Extension Mathematics examinations are STILL BASED ON THE 2 UNIT COURSE. The only difference is that they should be much harder.
Note a quote on the information package; "The course content includes the entire Mathematics (2 unit) course, the entire Mathematics Extension 1 course and addition..."

So it is still necessary to study the 2 unit course because any Extension course covers the 2 unit syllabus as well, regardless of whether it is examined or not. Also it is often a good idea for schools to have assessments on the 2 unit course for Extension 2 students so if they choose to drop to Extension 1, they would not have to catch up or miss anything.

As far as I know, the Extension 1 Mathematics assessments accounts for 2 UNITS of your total units, while Extension 2 Mathematics test also accounts for 2 UNITS of your total units. This is because each has a mark out of 100.
So for the UAI if you had the lowest scaled mark for one of them (Say Extension 2), that one would not count to the 10 units unless of course you are only taking 10 units. But I doubt that Extension 1 or 2 Mathematics would ever be excluded from the ten units since its course loading and scaling is rather high.
There IS NO ASSUMPTION of an automatic band 6 in the 2 unit Mathematics course since the test is not completed.

Probably the most likely reason that Extension 2 Mathematics students complete the Extension 1 Mathematics examination instead of the 2 unit examination is because of the build up of two courses on top of the 2 unit couse.
For example, Extension 1 builds on to 2 unit course, while Extension 2 builds on to the Extension 1 course. In terms of Extension Mathematics examinations the highest two levels of Mathematics is examined.
So for Extension 1 Mathematics students, they do the two highest levels which are Extension 1 and 2 unit. For Extension 2 Mathematics students, they do the Extension 1 and Extension 2 examinations because they are the highest 2 levels of Mathematics for that student.

Last edited:

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
Supra said:
soon as u start 4u maths at our scool (term 4 year11 i.e first term of year 12) u dont do 2u nemore
so does that mean that in place of 2u maths lessons on the timetable you do 4u? i know that some schools have their 4u lessons timetabled into their day, as opposed to most school, which have it once a week after school. is there some sort of prescribed time allocation to the course? it seems like i am at a disadvantage if i only do one 2 hours slot of 4u a week compared to 1 hour ones most days of the week.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
We had 4u classes timetabled into the normal day with no 3 or 2u classes whatsoever, since we'd already done 2u and you learned 3u in the 4u class.
EDIT: And I think the reason why 2u is not examined for 4u students is because to study so much more content for minimal advantage over just doing 3u is not worth it, so they had to chuck in 4 units of extension scaling to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)