2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flop21

HSC
Lelel I think more or less, if you're second, and the person who does second best in the hsc exam also bombs it, then you are screwed.
If that person bombs it, they're probably not going to be second best in the HSC exam. You'll just get the second best HSC mark whoever got that.

But I think you mean, yeah if your whole class gets crap then second best will also be crap, hence you'll get that crap mark as your internal mark.

It shouldn't affect you too much, as that's ^ a drastic example.

I actually don't mind this system, I can't imagine another fairer way.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I think the point of such a system is to reward students who have been trying hard all year (hence high ranks) versus someone who ceebs and then does well in a single exam.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
If that person bombs it, they're probably not going to be second best in the HSC exam. You'll just get the second best HSC mark whoever got that.

But I think you mean, yeah if your whole class gets crap then second best will also be crap, hence you'll get that crap mark as your internal mark.

It shouldn't affect you too much, as that's ^ a drastic example.

I actually don't mind this system, I can't imagine another fairer way.
Unless everyone else bombs it too lol
But in all seriousness, yeah thats a bit drastic and assuming at least the people at the top of the grade are fairly competent, just staying in that range rankwise should be alright

Bestintheworld

HSC
I think the point of such a system is to reward students who have been trying hard all year (hence high ranks) versus someone who ceebs and then does well in a single exam.
But what if you work hard consistently throughout the year but come exam time you do terrible and rest of the cohort isnt good? It probably happens a lot to students who goto a school ranked really low and theres only 1 or 2 students who are actually good.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
But what if you work hard consistently throughout the year but come exam time you do terrible and rest of the cohort isnt good? It probably happens a lot to students who goto a school ranked really low and theres only 1 or 2 students who are actually good.
You're fked bruh

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
That's actually when the system helps you the most lol

Say you work really hard through the year and you end up first in say Physics.
Now you go into the exam and you have a bit of a meltdown, and end up with a 82 Exam mark
Now the dude who was second, and was pretty close to you the whole year (and is one of the few 'good' people) does his exam and gets a solid 91 and gets the highest exam mark in the cohort

What will happen is your internal mark will be 91 and your external mark will be 82
Averaging them out, your final HSC mark will be 87, which is much better than your former 82 exam mark

That being said, if the other good people also do bad, then you are screwed lol

Although think of it this way, if you can't get first there must be someone better or at roughly the same level as you who is first, so you have a little bit of protection in that regard

Flop21

HSC
Well everyone gets their own exam/external mark, so you get your crap external mark. Then you get the person who came first's (assuming you ranked first internally) mark as your internal. And if that's crap, then you get that crap mark as well.

Stay in the top 3 if you're not at a good school. That's usually a safe range, and they'll always try their best. I went to a school rank 500+ and got your ATAR goal and wasn't first in every subject.

Sien

HSC
lol thats the point and why I think the system is crap.
Then would you rather base your atar on one exam like asia
Tbh i reckon hsc is pree fair, it doesn't get much fairer than that. Since you go to a 500+ school, aren't you eligible for that scheme for usyd

Last edited:

Shuuya

HSC
I agree with bestintheworld.
But if the system wasn't as it is then schools could give super easy exams and everyone could get 100%. Since internal ranks are more important than marks, everyone is on a level field in terms of exam difficulty, as the mark comes from the HSC.

Kolmias

HSC
Then would you rather base your atar on one exam like asia

That's an even worse system. However, the HSC is, like any educational system, flawed.

Sien

HSC
That's an even worse system. However, the HSC is, like any educational system, flawed.
Since every education system is flawed, and hsc is one of the most fairest, we can't exactly complain. Also there are numerous pathways if you fk up, in asia, if you fk up in that one examination, you have no future

Flop21

HSC
I don't really see the system that flawed (in terms of HSC results). If you want to point out a better way, feel free to.

leehuan

HSC
lol thats the point and why I think the system is crap.
How is your scenario likely without some calamity e.g. family member suddenly deceased impacting?

(And always note that things do get considered if they are THAT impacting)

turntaker

HSC
The education system is pretty good here (that's for years 11 and 12). I think we need to re-think how to teach primary school and juniors at high school. I think years 1-9 were the biggest waste of time. Especially primary school.

leehuan

HSC
The education system is pretty good here (that's for years 11 and 12). I think we need to re-think how to teach primary school and juniors at high school. I think years 1-9 were the biggest waste of time. Especially primary school.
Whilst I agree, tbh how can it be better lol

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Whilst I agree, tbh how can it be better lol
Honestly, I think we could endeavor to go a little faster in primary school and in junior high as well, like honestly all I remember learning in primary school was like basic arithmetic, idek what i spent the rest of the 8 years doing (in Canada they have 2 years of kindergarten)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)