2009 Monash Internal Transfers (1 Viewer)

hotdimsim

HSC
Started in Bachelor of Science last year, wanting to do Bachelor of Engineering and not getting in with my enter (87.1)

Had a gpa of 3.4 and wam of ~75 ish and applied to transfer to BEng and all the double degrees. Didnt get any so i tranferred to Eng @ RMIT. Not disappointed as at least i tried and am in the course i want.

Mookiez

HSC
Hi everyone,

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I seem to be getting a lot of emails lately (must be because it's that time of year where Monash has opened up for transfer applications). In any case, I'd just like to post some of the questions I've received, along with my answers. Hopefully other students looking to transfer can gain some insights, as well as having other law-transfer students share their experiences.

REDWAN - Question regarding internal transfer in Monash
Hey Mookiez,
I see that you started the transfer thread so I think you'd be a good person for me to ask some questions regarding transfers at Monash. I just finished VCE last year and didn't get the ENTER I wanted to get into my first preference (BBus(Acc) @ Monash caulfield) I got into BBus&Com at Monash Berwick (like my 3rd last preference), pretty much I get the same qualification and accredication from both degrees (planning to major in Accounting) but am not too happy with the Berwick campus and the fact no finance/business law subjects were offered there (which I probably would like to take as electives). I was wondering how difficult is it to get a transfer? Do they mainly just look your marks or is there more to like what you wrote on your student statement? Also when and who will I have to see at Monash to get the transfer form/information regarding it. Another thing, I emailed Monash regarding what calibre of marks I need to be considered for a transfer to Caulfield and they said minimum 65% average in first year but they also said theres no guarantee that you will be offered a transfer though :( Is the process fiercely competitive and is there many ways I can boost my chances? Sorry to sound so naive, I honestly have no clue on how things at uni work.

- Redwan
Hi Redwan,

I'm not too sure I will be able to answer all your questions, but I will do my best. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with, or whether there is any more information that you need regarding the process.

My first question to you, is whether you were interested in completing your degree and being accredited a Bachelor of Business, or whether you wanted to be awarded a Bachelor of Commerce. If you prefer the latter, then I know for a fact that whilst studying a BBus course on the caulfield campus, you will be guaranteed entry into BComm, upon completion of first year with a 60% average.

In terms of transferring cross-campus, whilst staying in the same degree, I believe you will be fine. Yes, a 65% average is required and the reason why they state that you wont be guaranteed a place is just a way to safe-guard them in the case that there are no placements available. I believe if you score around the 70% mark you have a very good chance of transferring to the caulfield campus, and this is very achievable as long as you do your readings and listen in class.

In terms of what they look for, it pretty much is purely your WAM (weighted average mark). Your WAM is calculated by totalling the score obtained in each unit and dividing it by that many units (Yes, all its just an average). The university doesn't really take notice of your student statement, atleast not to my knowledge. All I wrote on mine was 'I believe studying Law would be a more interesting career to pursue'.

Any information needed regarding transfers can be found on the specific faculty website, or for from the careers advisor. The application forms are obtainable from each faculty.

In terms of competition, transferring into Commerce I know can be competitive, but if you're transferring cross-campus into a similiar course you should be fine. All you need to worry about is doing well in your units. Just study hard, consult with your tutors and lecturers. Midyr exams should give you a rough indication of what is required of you.

Hope this helps, I know a lot of it may be confusing... But I just woke up.

Thanks for the prompt response Mookiez.
Current course I am enrolled into is Bachelor of Business and Commerce (the one thats offered in Gippsland, Berwick, Peninsula and the other world campuses) and I want to transfer to Bachelor of Business (Accounting) at Caulfield, at the moment I'm thinking of writing up random junk in the student statement like "I'm moving house and getting to Berwick will be too tedious" but the real reason is cause the campus and its facilities aren't too flash and not all the subjects I wish to do are offered there..
Also when does the transfer period open and close? and also generally speaking is it common for a course not to have placements =S.

Thanks.
In terms of transferring, I dont believe a student statement will make much difference. Be careful of what you write incase they later ask for documents to support your word.

Anything requiring dates in terms of transfers can be found here http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/stud...transfers.html

As long as you study hard and get good grades, you will be almost guaranteed a place. Its a fact that the university reserves a small allocation of placements for internal transfer only. So all you need to worry about is competing with the other students wishing to transfer into your course, this varies year to year.

Let me know how you go,
Mookiez
DANIEL - Question regarding external transfer into Arts/Law
Hey mookiez,

I'm doing arts at Deakin and i really want to transfer into law/arts at monash. I read in an older post of yours that you have a friend who went to deakin and successfully managed to transfer into law at monash. I was wondering if you know what WAM he needed to transfer as an external applicant?

Thanks heaps,

Daniel
Hey Daniel,

I think my friends average was only about 74. If you have over 80 then you're pretty much guaranteed in, because Monash reserves a certain amount of places for internal, external and VCE applicants.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

- Jarryd
PETE - Question regarding Arts/Law
Hi,

I hope this doesn't seem out of place but I noticed a blog post you did on the "Bored of Studies" website and you mentioned that you are studying Arts/Law at Monash University. I'm a first year Arts student wanting to transfer into Arts/law and I had a few questions, if you don't mind answering them. What is the workload like in the Law aspect of the degree? Are the subjects difficult, especially in comparison to the Arts subjects? Cause this is the one thing that is holding me back, I'm a bit worried that the subjects might be too difficult. What do you think? Also, whats the faculty like people etc?

Thanks and I hope this dosen't seem out of place,

Peter ********** (* for privacy issues =))
Hi Pete,

I'm more than happy to answer your questions. Although I haven't posted on BoS for quite some time, I still find myself regularly getting emails from fellow students around this time of year.

In relation to the workload, it's quite heavy, but I suppose it's dependent on what type of history of study you've had, what type person you are and the grades you're seeking to achieve. Let me give you an example, a mandatory unit such as Contracts will have about 30-50 cases each semester to study to learn the principles, and exceptions to contract law. The cases range from 1-20 pages long, and they're not in 'common' English. A lot of the terms you'll be unfamiliar with, and a lot of the time judges will go about things in a round-a-bout manner to achieve the outcome they desire (even if it seems illogical). On top of this, you will have a principles book, which is a reasonably thick book that just helps explain all of the principles to you. You will also have tutorials for half the semester (6 assessed tutorials) and 12-13 lectures of about 2-3 hours. You can assume the same for most of your other Law units. However, having said that, many people do not read every case and every piece of legislation. What's more important is the principles you extract from the cases, and your application of them on a set of facts.

If you're studying Arts/Law, like I am you will probably study two law units and two arts units a semester, which is a LOT easier than studying four straight law units. In comparison to Arts units, I would have to say law units are hands down a LOT harder. There is no doubt in my mind about the difference in difficulty between the two. For an Arts unit, it's quite common to achieve a D or HD, whereas in law you should definitely not be expecting those types of marks unless you put in the hours and effort.

To sumarise, and sorry if I didn't answer your questions in full, it's a satisfying degree. Just because something is hard is no reason why you should not give it a shot. You have nothing really to lose from transfering, and if you're passionate about it then you will be fine. It's not a hard degree, but it is quite time consuming. Just remember to study hard, relax when you can, and spend enjoy life.

You're too young have regrets.

- Jarryd

PS - Pete, I realised in the email I didn't answer your last question on how the people were. I've found, that just like any degree there are some really great people, and some really not so great people. You definitely won't have a problem making friends, I've made some great ones, but be sure not to neglect all of the friends you've made in Arts too! And honestly, I did find that a lot of law students were a bit stuck up, but that's to be expected when they've been praised their whole lives haha =P

I don't expect anyone to read all of that (good job to you if you do though), but hopefully it will help clarify some things for those seeking a transfer. And, even if it doesn't, if someone could lie and tell me it helped then that would be awesome cause it's currently 3:55 AM and I should be studying for my next exam.

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
Just thought I'd bump this and let people know that I managed to transfer into another course on the very last day it was available. Just emailed the course coordinator and was told to come in and fill out the paperwork on Monday! I don't know if it was my grades or the fact that they had many places left but it's definitely worth trying :)

hotdimsim

HSC
Just thought I'd bump this and let people know that I managed to transfer into another course on the very last day it was available. Just emailed the course coordinator and was told to come in and fill out the paperwork on Monday! I don't know if it was my grades or the fact that they had many places left but it's definitely worth trying :)
its always worth talking to admin even if you dont get an offer. for some courses there may be places avaliable and they might let you enrol at later dates

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
ah great, what course was it if you don't mind me asking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)