10 units or 12 units? (1 Viewer)

toilet

HSC
im currently doing 12 units because i was hesitant to drop my weakest subject since i enjoyed it the most. so would it be ideal to just focus on my other 5 subjects or equally put effort in all 6? if i put effort into all 6 subjects i may end up performing better in my backup subject since i enjoy it the most. however im not sure if it would be time-efficient to be spending time improving in my backup subject when i could be focusing on subjects im already better at.

sab13562

HSC
im currently doing 12 units because i was hesitant to drop my weakest subject since i enjoyed it the most. so would it be ideal to just focus on my other 5 subjects or equally put effort in all 6? if i put effort into all 6 subjects i may end up performing better in my backup subject since i enjoy it the most. however im not sure if it would be time-efficient to be spending time improving in my backup subject when i could be focusing on subjects im already better at.
I ended up dropping to 10 units and let me tell you, the workload becomes so much better. Plus, with only 10 units, you can dedicate more time in them and do better compared to having 12 units.

toilet

HSC
I ended up dropping to 10 units and let me tell you, the workload becomes so much better. Plus, with only 10 units, you can dedicate more time in them and do better compared to having 12 units.
thank you i will consider dropping to 10 units. do you think i should drop as soon as possible or stay for the first exam and see how i go?

laterz laterz

HSC
thank you i will consider dropping to 10 units. do you think i should drop as soon as possible or stay for the first exam and see how i go?
surely stay for the 1st exam. you might not have been putting enough effort into it in year 11 but now you are probably working hard coz of yr12 and may even good grades in it bcoz you like it + you are studying hard for it
good luck

toilet

HSC
surely stay for the 1st exam. you might not have been putting enough effort into it in year 11 but now you are probably working hard coz of yr12 and may even good grades in it bcoz you like it + you are studying hard for it
good luck
thanks you too

icycledough

HSC
Pros of doing 12 units

• Have backup in case one subject doesn't work (keep in mind though that English has to count a MINIMUM of 2 units)
  • If you decide to drop one subject (because you don't enjoy it or the results aren't working), you have the liberty to

Cons of doing 12 units

• An extra subject to focus on (which can get very difficult especially during HSC, when subjects are much more content heavy than in Year 11)
  • Also keep in mind that if you do choose to do 12 units and decide that you won't 'try' in one of those subjects because you don't want it to count, then it will definitely affect the rest of the cohort in that subject, especially for the external exams

As you are only in 'Term 1' of Year 12 (Term 4 of this year), I would continue with your last 2 units until the end of this year and see how it goes. If you find that you don't enjoy it and the results aren't coming your way, then you can decide to drop it and it hopefully won't affect you too much. The last thing you want to do is to drop it too late, say after trials or just before (where you have had 50% or almost 50% of your HSC already determined).

toilet

HSC
Pros of doing 12 units

• Have backup in case one subject doesn't work (keep in mind though that English has to count a MINIMUM of 2 units)
  • If you decide to drop one subject (because you don't enjoy it or the results aren't working), you have the liberty to

Cons of doing 12 units

• An extra subject to focus on (which can get very difficult especially during HSC, when subjects are much more content heavy than in Year 11)
  • Also keep in mind that if you do choose to do 12 units and decide that you won't 'try' in one of those subjects because you don't want it to count, then it will definitely affect the rest of the cohort in that subject, especially for the external exams

As you are only in 'Term 1' of Year 12 (Term 4 of this year), I would continue with your last 2 units until the end of this year and see how it goes. If you find that you don't enjoy it and the results aren't coming your way, then you can decide to drop it and it hopefully won't affect you too much. The last thing you want to do is to drop it too late, say after trials or just before (where you have had 50% or almost 50% of your HSC already determined).
thank you so much

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I was in the same dilemma and I felt 10 units was the best for me (also with the guidance of BOS users). I didn't really have interest in my other subjects to motivate me studying for it and I knew it was a waste of time studying for them if I was going to aim for high marks for my other subjects. There's considerably less work which I already feel and I can focus on english way more now. Just as the post above, "backup" subjects can become an excuse for not putting in effort so having that knowledge that everything counts keeps you focused.

I would only do 12 units if I enjoy another subject and I'll really miss out on not doing it - not because of "backup subject" since that kinda sets you up to feel comfort in less work/effort.

Last edited:

nourished.

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)