What can I do right now for my exam prep in 5+ weeks away? (1 Viewer)

Yours-

HSC
In the lower years (and even last term) I never really did anything at all during the term. I'd finish some math homework daily, maybe some english hw too, but then I'd just go play some games or watch yt or something unproductive.

Getting 40% in physics was a punch in the gut, and getting grade average when usually I pull well above the mean for almost all my other subjects tells me I think I actually need to do some work now.

What kind of activities can I be doing to prepare? What does a revision session look like? What should I be self-studying and how?

Term 1 Prelim results for those interested
english creative writing + reflection: 13/20 (creative), 13/20 (reflection) 65%
math advanced exam, 90%
math ex 1 exam, 65%
phyics depth study written exam, 17/38, 44%
chemistry practical exam +written exam, 48/70, 68%
software hand in programming fundamentals task - 49/50 (topped grade lol)
japanese continuers - 13/20 (speaking), 30/38 (reading), 28/35 (writing)

also side note:
goal of 80% for all exams this term; general study tips are nice too

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It seems like you have the potential to be an academically capable student (as seen in your Mathematics Advanced and Software Engineering results and, to a lower extent,), although your performance is being limited as a result of your inconsistent application to your studies. The good thing is that you have taken the first step towards achieving your goals by posting this thread, as it indicates that you are now prepared to do your utmost to ensure favourable performance across your subjects. In your particular case, the main element is to be diligent in your studies and preparations. Examples across your subjects include:
  • Seeking teacher feedback and implementing suggestions that they offer, allowing you to improve the quality of your writing.
  • In Mathematics Extension 1, determine areas of improvement based on your errors and subsequently work on addressing those and seek clarification and assistance whenever needed. It is important to first ensure that you thoroughly understand the content, after which you can apply your knowledge by completing as much practice material as possible (including textbook questions and past exam papers).
  • Similar to Mathematics Extension 1, you should identify areas of improvement in both Physics and Chemistry based on the errors that you made. However, if your results are purely due to insufficient preparation, then you should ensure that you thoroughly prepare for your upcoming assessment tasks/exams.
Your performance in Mathematics Advanced and Software Engineering reflects an effective study strategy, which you must therefore maintain so that you can maintain this standard of performance in both subjects going forward. Regarding Japanese Continuers, practice is essential when learning a language, because of which you should maximise your exposure to the Japanese language by engaging with its different aspects (i.e. speaking, listening, reading and writing). This can be done through exposure to both HSC-related material as well as non-HSC material that you are interested in.

I hope this helps! :D

Yours-

HSC
can you help me with maths 😭
haha lol

It seems like you have the potential to be an academically capable student (as seen in your Mathematics Advanced and Software Engineering results and, to a lower extent,), although your performance is being limited as a result of your inconsistent application to your studies. The good thing is that you have taken the first step towards achieving your goals by posting this thread, as it indicates that you are now prepared to do your utmost to ensure favourable performance across your subjects. In your particular case, the main element is to be diligent in your studies and preparations. Examples across your subjects include:
  • Seeking teacher feedback and implementing suggestions that they offer, allowing you to improve the quality of your writing.
  • In Mathematics Extension 1, determine areas of improvement based on your errors and subsequently work on addressing those and seek clarification and assistance whenever needed. It is important to first ensure that you thoroughly understand the content, after which you can apply your knowledge by completing as much practice material as possible (including textbook questions and past exam papers).
  • Similar to Mathematics Extension 1, you should identify areas of improvement in both Physics and Chemistry based on the errors that you made. However, if your results are purely due to insufficient preparation, then you should ensure that you thoroughly prepare for your upcoming assessment tasks/exams.
Your performance in Mathematics Advanced and Software Engineering reflects an effective study strategy, which you must therefore maintain so that you can maintain this standard of performance in both subjects going forward. Regarding Japanese Continuers, practice is essential when learning a language, because of which you should maximise your exposure to the Japanese language by engaging with its different aspects (i.e. speaking, listening, reading and writing). This can be done through exposure to both HSC-related material as well as non-HSC material that you are interested in.

I hope this helps! :D
Thanks for the tips. I've never really "studied" properly before - limits of what I did was like a few past papers before a math exam, and I'd usually score pretty well.
I'm concerned on how to best approach my teachers considering it's only week 4 and exams are still a month away. It seems weird to go up to a teacher and say
me: Hi miss, I need help
teacher: with what
me: uh, the subject
teacher: -_-

like how can i prepare for such a conversation - especially with my english teacher who's old and spends class time complaining how no one likes the subject

for the general understanding of the content, im pretty good with that - application is generally where i suck, especially for sciences and math. any good textbooks or places where i can find questions on different parts of the syllabus? definitely willing to buy something if it comes recommended.

Thanks for taking the time xd (and my math advanced and software had little to no study lol and i still got good marks, thats kinda why idk how to improve)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the tips. I've never really "studied" properly before - limits of what I did was like a few past papers before a math exam, and I'd usually score pretty well.
I'm concerned on how to best approach my teachers considering it's only week 4 and exams are still a month away. It seems weird to go up to a teacher and say
me: Hi miss, I need help
teacher: with what
me: uh, the subject
teacher: -_-

like how can i prepare for such a conversation - especially with my english teacher who's old and spends class time complaining how no one likes the subject

for the general understanding of the content, im pretty good with that - application is generally where i suck, especially for sciences and math. any good textbooks or places where i can find questions on different parts of the syllabus? definitely willing to buy something if it comes recommended.

Thanks for taking the time xd (and my math advanced and software had little to no study lol and i still got good marks, thats kinda why idk how to improve)
No worries, I think that an important thing to do before going to your teacher for help is to do your best to understand whichever concept you may be struggling with. You may find that you have made some progress, although you may eventually be stuck at a certain point. This is better than not making an effort. In such a case, when you go to your teacher for help, your response will shift to a more specific one, such as "I understand that technique "X" is intended for effect "Y", although I need clarification about how I can incorporate technique "X" into my writing to create effect "Z"". This shows the teacher that you have made a genuine attempt at understanding the concept in question, which demonstrates your commitment to the subject. This, along with the fact that your teacher would not have to help you from the basics, would make it more likely for your teacher to not only help you but also do so happily.

I am sadly unable to provide specific advice regarding Science subjects, although for maths, the general consensus is that Cambridge is the best textbook because of its more challenging questions which, alongside past papers, would allow for thorough preparation for your assessment tasks/exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)