school assessment marks/ranks & state ranks (1 Viewer)

arcadian

HSC
if our school assessment marks are dependent on the examination performance of other students in our cohort and internal rank, does this mean that the number/grade we attain internally is actually not taken into consideration, and only our internal rank is used?

also, how is it possible for students who are not first in a cohort to end up receiving a HSC mark higher than the student ranked first, if the person who ranked first receives the highest exam mark anyway?
similarly, how do students who are not ranked first end up state ranking, obviously higher than the student who ranked 1st?

(also, I used this website to understand the process just in case https:// scienceready.com.au/blogs/hsc-science-tips-advice/hsc-mark-alignment-scaling)
ty guys

liamkk112

HSC
if our school assessment marks are dependent on the examination performance of other students in our cohort and internal rank, does this mean that the number/grade we attain internally is actually not taken into consideration, and only our internal rank is used?

also, how is it possible for students who are not first in a cohort to end up receiving a HSC mark higher than the student ranked first, if the person who ranked first receives the highest exam mark anyway?
similarly, how do students who are not ranked first end up state ranking, obviously higher than the student who ranked 1st?

(also, I used this website to understand the process just in case https:// scienceready.com.au/blogs/hsc-science-tips-advice/hsc-mark-alignment-scaling)
ty guys
to answer the first part yep. as a simplification the number 1 hsc mark will be set to the rank 1 persons internal mark, the last place hsc mark will be set to the last ranked persons internal mark, and then the marks are somehow evenly distributed amongst the rest, i forget how it works entirely. this is why literally everyone says “ranks only matter”, the hsc marks will replace any internal mark, so even if u got 100% internals and were rank 1but the top external mark of ur cohort was 90% then u will get 90% as ur final internal. this also obviously answers the first part of ur second question, yes the person in first will yoink the #1 hsc mark (that’s what happened with my english mark, someone got like 90+ or something and i only got 77 hsc mark, but because i was rank 1 it balanced out to wtv english mark i got)

for state ranks i believe they primarily consider ur external mark, so if someone wasn’t rank one it wouldn’t matter (not too sure on this. someone can probably verify)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Much of liamkk112's explanation is correct. Your rank in a subject relative to your cohort is determined by the marks that you achieve in your school-based assessment tasks/exams. The relative gaps between those marks are also considered, as NESA maintains them when determining moderated Assessment Marks. The Assessment Mark is the mark that you receive which reflects your internal performance in a subject and contributes 50% of your overall HSC mark. Beyond that point, the marks that you have achieved in your school-based assessment tasks/exams have no significance.

Once your rank is finalised, and once Examination Marks (HSC exam marks) are available, NESA performs the moderation process which uses your rank and Examination Marks achieved in your cohort (including your own) in determining your Assessment Mark, all while maintaining the aforementioned relative gaps. The Assessment Mark of a student ranked first will be adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark achieved by any student in the cohort (including that same student). For ranks other than first, the Assessment Mark is unlikely to be made equal to an equivalent Examination Mark, although it will likely be similar.

To answer your second question, an HSC mark is the average of two marks, the first being the Assessment Mark and the other being the Examination Mark. We now know the process to determine the Assessment Mark. On the other hand, the Examination Mark depends solely on a student's own performance in their HSC exam and is therefore unaffected by the student's rank or the moderation process. For example, Student A is ranked first in a subject, and Student B is ranked second. However, Student B decides to study very well for their HSC exam to achieve the highest possible Examination Mark, and they end up achieving the highest Examination Mark in their cohort. Student B will be awarded that Examination Mark. At the same time, Student B's Examination Mark will become Student A's Assessment Mark because Student A was ranked first internally. Suppose that the highest Examination Mark in the cohort was 90. Consider the table below:

Assessment MarkExamination MarkHSC mark
Student A908085
Student B859088

Despite the fact that Student A received a higher Assessment Mark, their Examination Mark was lower than Student B's, simply because Student B did better in their HSC exam than Student A. In this case, Student B would receive a higher HSC mark than Student A.

Regarding your last question, my understanding is that it is quite rare for students who are not ranked first in their cohorts to state rank in a subject, unless the performance level of the top-ranked students is very close, as is likely the case of a high-ranked school. State ranks consider HSC marks, not just the Examination Marks. Additionally, NESA implements a process to determine state ranks for students who achieved equal HSC marks:

NESA said:
If students are equal on the highest HSC marks in a course, then the following process is used to determine the recipient(s):
  1. take an average of each student's examination mark and assessment mark after alignment to performance bands, each to one decimal place
  2. take an average of each student's examination mark and assessment mark before alignment to performance bands, each to two decimal places
  3. if an extension course, use the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area.
I hope this helps! 😄

theaeneid

HSC
N/A
For y11 students, do we still get a half yrly report? If so, when?
Yes, whenever ur school releases it - probably at the end of term 2/start of term 3 considering it is a half-yearly

theaeneid

HSC
N/A
Does it only include term 1 maeks or both term 1 and 2? because my friends told me it was only term 1 marks
Wouldn't be much of a half-yearly if it only included a quarter of the year, but idk what goes on at ur school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)