mercury and membrane process (1 Viewer)

needsomehelp

HSC
Assess the environmental issues and the technical considerations in the membrane process compared to the mercury-cell process.

Can anyone help?

Tastegud

HSC
... conquering chem helps.

anyways
Assess the environmental issues and the technical considerations in the membrane process compared to the mercury-cell process.
Mercury-Cell process
- for each tonne of naoh produced, there is 8g of mercury dispersed and they make shitloads trust

*theres not much on the mercury process because its pretty simple change. its effectively the exact same electrolysis shit but its turned to its side and crap. blahblah nothing to talk about in mercury. and i havent studied this shit so i forget. just look up the textbook

Membrane process
- no more asbestos and there is 100% purity in this process
- hardly any environmental issues

trust me this is a shit question. u wont get anything like it because theres no substance for it ==
now post a real question.

trafficjam

HSC
mercury doesnt break down metabolically and will build up along the food chain (bioaccumulation). It also causes damage to the nervous system i think..

boxhunter91

HSC
LOL JAM what you doing. We got Physics today and you replying to an Industrial Chem question :)
But yes he is right it can bioaccumulate and is toxic. Since Membrane doesnt release toxins and produces quite pure NaOH since it only allows Na+ ions to cross it is a highly suitable process. Make sure you know each of the process and why they were replaced by the other.
Diaphragm < Mercury < Membrane.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)