Confusion on the ring topology (1 Viewer)

Fply

Some books say that if one node fails in ring topology then the whole network fails
but some book says that if one node fails the network could still operate

A conflict?

Can some one explain to me

Roors

HSC
think of a ring....its round...one cable....and you've got a signal flowing down that cable...visualise here with me....ok....got it....now imagine cutting that cable...can the signal still flow?
jus visualise hehe

Huy

HSC
N/A
In a ring topology, if one node fails, as Roors has mentioned, the network fails.

If you've got token-rings, those tokens cannot possibly pass through a "dead" computer, thereby preventing traffic and data flow.

I think you are referring to either bus topologies, or star topologies, where if a node is removed/offline, the network will still operate, UNLESS the central node in a star network goes offline, then that'll bring the whole network down :)

Draw pictures and visualise it :D

JRasnier

in token ring if one node fails it all fails, but then in token ring it can become more advanced, that uses backup rings so that if one ring fails the other picks up from where it left off such as i think MDDI i think its that....yeah it uses 2 rings....

JRasnier

and with a star network u have to remember that if the central node goes down it usually goes down but when the star network is within a mesh network then it does not go down...

Huy

HSC
N/A
What's with the double posts today? :chainsaw:
Deja vu probably ... :rolleyes:

SamD

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Fply
Some books say that if one node fails in ring topology then the whole network fails
but some book says that if one node fails the network could still operate

A conflict?

Can some one explain to me
If the network cable that forms the physical ring is broken then definitely a token ring network will fail. However, as each node listens for messages then if one node fails the messages just keep on going past that node, that is, the network continues to operate. If this was not the case then shutting down a single machine would halt the whole network, obviously that would make the network next to useless!

HTH
Sam

HSC
maybe its referring to the star topology but using the token ring
this happens coz if the central node is a hub, then the network is actually connected like a ring topology (one single continuous connection)

ummm...yknow that term "physical star logical ring"? its based on this very concept

check out the pic i attached...that might help explain things...

HSC
oh sorry i just realised i didnt actually answer your question!
hehe

ummm...yeah if it actually runs a logical ring topology...then it can run the token ring protocol...
now as ive explained above...its actually a physical star...
so if one node actually breaks down...then the ring isnt actually broken and transmission can still be done, bypassing that fuked up node!!

hmmm i suck at explaining things but i reckon you should ask your teacher about what im talking about! i remember my teacher taught me something about this a long time ago...
or i could just be really out of whack!

Note: in that image i said hubs only direct traffic without the use of indexes....i just wanna correct myself by saying that hubs only connect nodes together rather than direct the flow of data. it also doesnt "make decisions" such as "which route is the quickest" like a router...
SWITCHES is the device that directs data packets!!

Last edited:

JRasnier

as i was saying in last post, there is such thing as a dual token-ring where two rings are connected, one as a redundancy...as i see it with one token-ring line, then it will fail considering if the token-ring keeps waiting for that computer to collect the token, also the computer may be playing a transciever role, that will amplify the signals to allow it to get to the next node......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)