Chemistry New Syllabus Advice / Sample Answers by an Experienced HSC Tutor (1 Viewer)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
My class spent a good 2-3 weeks on the process saponification, but my tutor said it's out of the syllabus? She said only the "structure and action" of soaps/ detergents, as well as environmental impacts, would be tested on. Is this true? I don't want to spend time studying something that won't be tested on. Thanks
Saponification as a process was required knowledge in the old syllabus as there was a specific syllabus dot point about knowing the method. The structure, action and uses is what the dot point states in the new syllabus. It's still a good idea though to have some knowledge about the process. You don't need to memorise like the full method probably but knowing the chemical equation for producing a soap or detergent would be to good to know as that could fall under the 'structure' aspect of that dot point

vicwoods

HSC
I've been looking for this for a long time. Thank you for sharing!

jinglebells1464646

HSC
N/A
[/QUOTE]
What do you mean if it is symmetrical, it is polar? Aren't dialchohols symmetrical but also have high boiling point (that it, they are polar)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)